The South Dakota Game Fish and Parks Commission has finalized two popular waterfowl hunting seasons.
The biggest change for the 2012 Duck Hunting Season will allow hunters to also harvest four scaup, also known as bluebills.
Hunters will be allowed to harvest six ducks daily, comprised of no more than: five mallards (may include no more than two hens), three wood ducks, two redheads, four scaup, two pintails and one canvasback.
Dates for the coming Duck Hunting Season in South Dakota:
- High Plains, Oct. 13, 2012 – Jan. 17, 2013
- Low Plains North and Middle, Sept. 29 – Dec. 11, 2012
- Low Plains South, Oct. 13 – Dec. 25, 2012.
Dates for the South Dakota Goose Hunting Season:
- Light geese and white fronted geese,– Sept 29 – Dec. 23, 2012.
Statewide Canada geese and brant geese seasons:
- Unit 1 – Oct. 1 – Dec. 16, 2012
- Unit 2 – Nov. 3, 2012 – Feb. 15, 2013
- Unit 3 – Jan. 12 – 20, 2013
A daily limit of three Canada geese, 20 light geese and one white-fronted goose is in place, with a possession limit of twice the daily limit for Canada and white-fronted geese and an unlimited possession limit for light geese.