Deer hunters who want to hunt the Marias River Wildlife Management Area, southwest of Shelby in Hunting District 406 have from June 1 to June 30 to submit their application.
A random drawing will take place for deer hunting periods during the archery season, Sept. 7 – Oct. 20, or the general rifle season, Oct. 26 – Nov. 17. Access to the WMA will be allocated as follows:
Archery Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 archers for the first 2 weeks (Sept. 7-Sept. 21)
- 10 archers for the 3rd and 4th weeks (Sept. 22-Oct. 5)
- 10 archery hunters for 5th and 6th weeks (Oct. 6-Oct. 20)
General Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 rifle hunters for the 1st week (Oct. 26-Nov. 1)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 2nd week (Nov 2-Nov. 9)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 3rd and final week (Nov. 10-Nov. 17)
Public hunting access for all other species is open on the Marias River WMA.
Hunters can submit applications starting 8 a.m., June 1, until 5 p.m., June 30. All drawing applications must be submitted electronically either on the FWP web page, http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/marias.html or at any FWP regional or area office.
Points to remember
- 10 archery hunters randomly chosen per 2 week period.
- 3 archery hunt periods, each 2 weeks in length.
- 10 general hunting season (rifle) hunters randomly chosen per 7-9 day period.
- 3 general season (rifle) hunt periods, each 7-9 days in length.
- Hunters may apply for either archery or rifle season but not both.
- No party applications accepted.
- Hunt periods will be allotted at the time of drawing and are not transferable.
- Hunters may apply only once.
- Drawing application may be submitted electronically beginning 8 a.m., June 1, on the FWP web site or at any FWP regional office.
- Drawing application must be received by FWP no later than 5 p.m., June 30.
- Incomplete, incorrect or duplicate drawing applications will be removed prior to the drawing.
- Hunters must include their full name, address, phone number, and correctly formatted ALS number and indicate desired hunt– archery or general rifle hunting season on the drawing application.
- Drawing will take place after June 30 and only successful applicants will be notified of drawing results.
- Successful drawing applicants will be contacted with hunt access information and authorized permission before the start of the archery season.
- Successful drawing applicants may use any deer license valid in Hunting District 406.
All hunting will conform to the existing FWP Commission-established season structure in HD 406.
Logo courtesy Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks