As a sneak peak of Georgia Pellegrini’s new book, coming out December 13th, 2011, we’re sharing a recipe for Moroccan elk stew that can be made with any antlered animal or a variety of other big game meats.
Girl Hunter: Revolutionizing the Way We Eat, One Hunt at a Time is the story of how Georgia Pellegrini went from a personally unrewarding life in the financial sector to working in a farm-to-table restaurant just blocks from her former employer, Lehman Brothers, in Manhattan, New York. She then finished the program at the French Culinary Institute in New York in search of her life’s outdoors roots.
“I had left behind the trappings of the city – the cars and bars and boys – and traded in my laptop for a set of good knives.” Pellegrini states. At that restaurant, she experienced a revelation that lead her to become a huntress and self-sufficient cook. The collection of game recipes and her life’s transformation story is what you will find in Girl Hunter.
Moroccan Elk Stew
- 4 pounds elk shoulder or haunch, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons grape seed oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium-size onions, roughly chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium-size turnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup dried apricots
- 2.3 cup prunes, pitted
- 3 to 4 cups beef of antlered game stock
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot with oil. In a bowl, toss the elk cubes in the flour. Shake the cubes well and place them in the pot in batches, being sure not to crowd them. Brown them on all sides and transfer to a plate or rack.
- Put all of the browned meat back in the pan and sprinkle it with the salt, cinnamon, ginger and pepper. Then add the vegetables, garlic and dried fruit. Pour in enough stock for the meat to be three-quarters covered and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat so the bubbles percolate. Cover and simmer gently for 2 hours, until tender.
Also try: beef, lamb, bison, venison and other antlered game
From the book Girl Hunter by Georgia Pellegrini. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright (c) 2011. www.dacapopresscookbooks.com
Photo: U.S. Forest Service, Southwestern Region