The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) helps strengthen Indiana’s historical and cultural heritage through annual federal grants it administers to local communities and not-for-profit groups that these organizations use for preservation projects.
This year, the DNR Historic Preservation & Archaeology has awarded 14 federal grants in Indiana communities (see list below). The grants, totaling $394,298, provide a match of $424,326 in local and private funds, for a total projected investment of $818,624.
The funds come from the National Park Service, a part of the U.S. Department of the Interior that distributes federal funds to the states through the Historic Preservation Fund Program. Since 1974, the state has awarded more than $17 million to Indiana communities through this program.
“Preserving our state’s historic and cultural resources is a vital part of our mission,” said DNR director and State Historic Preservation Officer, Robert E. Carter, Jr. “These worthy projects help revitalize communities, provide local jobs and investment, and allow Hoosiers to explore the cultures and people of Indiana’s past.”
The projects for the 2011 funding cycle are:
Blackford County: Ball State University’s Department of Anthropology received a $49,519 grant to conduct an archaeological survey of 900 acres in Blackford County. [Contact: Chris Keller, Ball State University, (765) 285-5396].
Crown Point: The Indiana Ballet Theatre NW received a $25,000 grant to replace the roof on the Lake County Tuberculosis Sanatorium Nurses’ Home. [Contact: Donna Blanchard, Indiana Ballet Theatre NW, (219) 741-4880].
Floyd County: The Falls of the Ohio Archaeological Society received a $13,381 grant to conduct archaeological investigations in the 47 acre Loop Island Wetlands area. [Contact: Anne Tobbe Bader, (502) 592-2355].
Fort Wayne: ARCH, Inc. received a $14,075 grant to prepare a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places for the Lafayette Historic District, which will include approximately 450 contributing properties. The project will also prepare National Register nominations for three Miami heritage-related sites. [Contact: Michael Galbraith, ARCH, Inc, (260) 426-5117].
Fort Wayne: The City of Fort Wayne Community Development received a $29,837 grant to rehabilitate the exterior of the c. 1890 Canton Laundry Building located in the West End historic district. [Contact: Don Orban, City of Fort Wayne, (260) 427-2160].
Georgetown: The Town of Georgetown received a $5,000 grant to prepare a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places for the Georgetown Historic District, which includes approximately 100 contributing properties. [Contact: Laura Renwick, Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, (812) 284-4534].
Goshen: Downtown Goshen Inc. received a $35,000 grant to prepare an architectural and feasibility study for the c. 1906 Goshen Theater. [Contact: Grace Hunsberger, (574) 536-8899].
Hamilton County: The Archaeological Survey of IPFW received a $45,952 grant to conduct a two-week public archaeology program during Indiana Archaeology Month in September 2011 and six weeks of on-site field school investigations by IPFW in Strawtown Koteewi Park in Hamilton County. [Contact: Bob McCullough, IPFW, (260) 481-6892].
Huntington: The Huntington Historic Preservation Review Board received a $32,483 grant to stabilize and rehabilitate the East stone retaining wall at the entrance to the 1923 Sunken Gardens in Huntington. [Contact: Cathy Wright, Historic Landmarks Foundation, (260) 563-4534].
Indianapolis: Historic Woodruff Place Foundation, Inc. received a $19,051 grant to stabilize and rehabilitate the north wall of the Woodruff Place Town Hall. [Contact: Monica Thompson Deal, Historic Woodruff Foundation Inc., (317) 684-0611].
Indianapolis: The Columbia Club Foundation received a $25,000 grant for rehabilitation of the main façade masonry and windows. [Contact: Joe Ferrara, Columbia Club Foundation, (317) 902-7105].
Lake County: The Lake County Parks and Recreation Department received a $25,000 grant to replace the roof on the 1916 Barn at the Buckley Homestead, as well as repair and repaint the exterior clapboard siding on the Main House. [Contact: Craig Zandstra, Lake Co. Parks & Recreation Dept., (219) 945-0543].
Madison: River Valley Resources, Inc. received a $25,000 grant to rehabilitate the skylights in a 1940s Art Deco commercial building located on Second St. in the Madison Historic District. [Contact: Molly Dodge, River Valley Resources, (812) 265-2652].
Vincennes: The Grouseland Foundation received a $50,000 grant to replace the roof on Grouseland, the 1804 home of President William Henry Harrison, which is also designated as a National Historic Landmark. [Contact: Daniel Sarell, Grouseland Foundation, (812) 882-2096].
For more information on the DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology and the Historic Preservation Fund Program, see http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/.
Steve Kennedy (317) 232-6981 or Malia Vanaman at (317) 232-1648