LINCOLN, Neb. – The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is inviting public comment on its 2011 waterfowl hunting season recommendations.
Hunters may provide feedback by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, attending a public informational meeting in July, or attending the public hearing at the Game and Parks board of commissioners meeting on July 29.
Staff recommendations for the waterfowl, crow and falconry seasons will be brought to the board of commissioners at its meeting in Lincoln. The seasons will be approved by the board later in the summer.
Following are the public informational meetings – all set for 7 p.m. – scheduled around the state to discuss waterfowl season recommendations:
- Bridgeport, Prairie Wind Center, 424 N. Main St., July 12
- Broken Bow, One Box Shooting Complex, 5 miles southwest on Ryno Road, July 12
- Lincoln, Game and Parks headquarters, 2200 N. 33rd St., July 13
- Ponca State Park, Willow Room, 2 miles north of Ponca, July 13
- Alma, Johnson Center, 509 Main St., July 14
- Alda, Heartland Public Shooting Park, 6788 Husker Hwy., July 15
Following is a summary of proposed recommendations for the waterfowl, crow and falconry seasons:
- Earl Teal – Low Plains Unit: Sept. 10-25; High Plains Unit: Sept. 10-18
- Early Canada Goose – eliminate early season
- Youth Waterfowl Season – Oct. 1-2
- Ducks and Coots – Low Plains Early: Oct. 8-Dec. 18 and Dec. 23-24
- Low Plains Late: Oct. 15-16 and Oct. 22-Jan. 1
- High Plains: Oct. 8-Dec. 18 and Dec. 23-Jan. 15
- Pintail and Canvasback – Low Plains Early and High Plains: Oct. 8-Nov. 15; Low Plains Late: Oct. 15-16 and Oct. 22-Nov. 27
- Dark Goose – East Unit: Oct. 8-16 and Oct. 22-Jan. 25; North Central Unit: Oct. 8-Jan. 20; Platte River Unit: Oct. 22-Feb. 3; Panhandle Unit: Nov. 5-Feb. 3; Niobrara Unit: Oct. 22-Feb. 3
- White-Fronted Geese – Statewide: Oct. 8-Dec. 18
- Light Goose Regular Season – Statewide: Oct. 8-Jan. 6 and Jan. 21-Feb. 3
- Light Goose Conservation Order – Zone 1: Feb. 4-April 15; Zone 2: Feb. 4-April 1; Zone 3: Feb. 4-April 15
- Crow – Statewide: Oct. 1-Nov. 15 and Jan. 20-April 6; Special Public Health Hazard Order: Nov. 16-Jan. 19
- Falconry – Low Plains: Sept. 1-30 and concurrent with duck seasons in Low Plains Early and Late zones; High Plains: Concurrent with duck seasons in High Plains zone
Also, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has approved Game and Parks’ recommendations for waterfowl zone changes. The changes, valid for five years, also require approval of the commissioners. To view the zones, visit OutdoorNebraska.org, then click on Hunting, then Waterfowl.