TRENTON, Mich.- National Guard FLW College Fishing is headed to the Detroit River July 16 for the fourth and final four stop of the 2011 qualifying season in the Central Division. Forty college teams will be competing for a top award of $10,000 to be split between the school and bass fishing club; $7,500 for bass club and $2,500 for their school.
“The fishing should be really good,” said Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes pro Dave Lefebre of Union City, Pa. ‘It is going to be postspawn and the bass should be grouped in nice schools.
“The fun part about this tournament is that there are a million different ways to catch fish,” Lefebre went on to say. “If anglers want they can stay in the river, it’s all current, and use crankbaits and spinnerbaits. They can also fish Lake Erie or Lake St. Clair, and drop-shot. No matter what they do or where they fish they are going to be catching some really nice smallmouth.”
Anglers will take off from Elizabeth Park Marina in Trenton, Mich., at 6:30 a.m. Saturday. Weigh-in will also be held at the marina beginning at 1 p.m. Takeoff and weigh-in are free and open to the public.
Schools competing in the Detroit River tournament include:
- Ball State University Southern Illinois University System-Edwardsville
- Central Arkansas Truman State University
- Eastern Illinois University University of Arkansas, Little Rock
- Eastern Kentucky University of Illinois
- Georgetown College University of Iowa
- Henderson State University of Kentucky
- Indiana University University of Louisville
- Iowa State University University of Minnesota
- Kansas State University University of Missouri
- Midamerica Nazarene College University of Nebraska
- Missouri State University University of Nebraska, Omaha
- Morehead State University University of North Dakota
- Milwaukee School of Engineering University of St. Thomas
- Murray State University University of Wisconsin
- Northwest Missouri State University University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
- Northwestern University University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
- Purdue University University of Wisconsin, Stout
- St. Cloud State University University of Wisconsin, Whitewater
- Southern Illinois University Winona State University
- South Dakota State Western Kentucky University
The top five teams from each tournament will qualify for the regional championship where the first-place team wins $12,500 cash for their school and $12,500 cash and a Ranger 177TR bass boat with a 90 horsepower Evinrude or Mercury outboard wrapped in school colors for their fishing club. The 2011 Central Regional is being held at Lake Kinkaid Oct. 6-8 and will be hosted by Southern Illinois University.
The top five teams from each regional tournament advance to the national championship where the first-place team wins $25,000 for their school and $50,000 cash and a Ranger 177TR bass boat with a 90 horsepower Evinrude or Mercury outboard wrapped in school colors for their fishing club.
College Fishing is free to enter and FLW Outdoors provides boats and drivers for each competing team along with travel allowances. All participants must be registered, full-time undergraduate students at a four-year college or university and members of a fishing club recognized by their college or university.
For regular updates, photos, tournament news and more, follow College Fishing on Facebook at Facebook.com/FLWCollegeFishing and on Twitter at Twitter.com/CollegeFishing. Visit CollegeFishing.com to sign up or to start a club at your school.
ABOUT FLW OUTDOORS
FLW Outdoors is the best in fishing, on and off the water. Anglers worldwide can compete for millions over the course of 191 tournaments in 2011. FLW Outdoors has taken fishing mainstream with the world’s richest fantasy sports game, FLW Fantasy Fishing presented by Straight Talk, where competitors can play for free as well as sign up for Player’s Advantage to gain an edge. For more information about FLW Outdoors and FLW Fantasy Fishing, visit FLWOutdoors.com or FantasyFishing.com.
Chad Gay, Public Relations Manager, (270) 703-3346 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Huber, Communications Specialist, (612) 337-1810 (w), (612) 812-9512 (m) or julie.huber@jacobs-