State parks across South Dakota will be holding a variety of special events. The activities give visitors the opportunity to be active and learn while enjoying the fresh air of the outdoors.
- Birding by Bike, Aug. 11, 10 a.m. CDT, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton. Bring your bike and binoculars as we tour the park looking for South Dakota birds. Meet at the Lewis and Clark amphitheater. Info: 605-668-2985
- Sand Volleyball Fun, Aug. 11, 10 a.m. CDT, Oakwood Lakes State Park near Bruce. Gather at the beach volleyball court for some fun in the sun! Info: 605-627-5441
- Adams Homestead Celebration, Aug. 11, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. CDT, Adams Homestead and Nature Preserve near North Sioux City. Take a step back in time and experience some of the cultural and natural history of South Dakota. This free, fun event for all ages is full of activities, crafts, music and demonstrations. Make a rope or candle; visit the Lamont Country School and Stavenger Lutheran Church; watch the threshing machine demonstration; taste great food at the Dutch oven cooking demonstration; and compete in the watermelon seed spitting contest and buffalo chip throwing contest. Info: 605-232-0873
- Butterfly Bonanza, Aug. 11, 4 p.m. CDT, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area near Yankton. Come learn about the beauty and mystery of the butterflies of South Dakota. Info: 605-668-2985
- Street Masters Car Show and Ice Cream Social, Aug. 11, 7-9 p.m. CDT, Oahe Downstream Recreation Area near Fort Pierre. Check out the car show as you enjoy ice cream! All guests are encouraged to cast a vote for their favorite car. The Camper’s Choice trophy will be awarded to the most popular car. Info: 605-223-7722
There is no cost to participate in any of these programs; however, a park entrance license is required for all events.
For more information on the South Dakota State Parks or for a full calendar of events, please visit www.gfp.sd.gov or call 605-773-3391. To learn about park programs in your area, contact your local state park office.
Logo courtesy of South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks