The Iowa Department of Natural Resources will begin its fall and winter trout stocking on Oct. 18, with a release planned for Big Lake, in Council Bluffs.
The DNR has 17 cool weather stockings planned and will release about 1,500 rainbow trout at each location as part of its cool weather trout program that brings trout to areas that cannot support them during the summer months.
Anglers will need to have a valid fishing license and pay the trout fee to fish for or possess trout. The daily limit is five trout per licensed angler with a possession limit of 10.
Children age 15 or younger can fish for trout with a properly licensed adult, but they must limit their catch to one daily limit. The child can purchase a trout fee which will allow them to catch their own limit.
2012-13 Fall Winter Trout Stocking Schedule
- Oct. 18, Big Lake, Council Bluffs, 2 p.m.
- Oct. 19, Banner Lake (South), Summerset State Park, Indianola, Noon
- Oct. 20, Lake of the Hills, Davenport, 10 a.m.
- Oct. 20, Sand Lake, Marshalltown, 11 a.m.
- Oct. 26, Ottumwa Park Pond, 11 a.m.
- Nov. 1, Petoka, Bondurant, Noon
- Nov. 3, Discovery Park, Muscatine, 10 a.m.
- Nov. 3, Wilson Lake, Fort Madison, 10 a.m.
- Nov. 3, Heritage Pond, Dubuque, 11 a.m.
- Nov. 9, Sand Lake, Iowa City, 10 a.m.
- Nov. 10, Scharnberg Pond, Spencer, 12:30 p.m.
- Nov. 15, Bacon Creek, Sioux City, 1:45 p.m.
- Nov. 16, Prairie Creek Park (Cedar Bend), Cedar Rapids, 10 a.m.
- Nov. 18, Moorland Pond, Fort Dodge, 1 p.m.
- Nov. 20, Ada Hayden, Ames, Noon
- Nov. 21, Blue Pit, Mason City, 11 a.m.
- Jan. 5, North Prairie, Cedar Falls, 11 a.m.
Logo courtesy Iowa Department of Natural Resources