Brad Belcher, one of the 2012 Pure Michigan Hunt winners, had a “bang up time” hunting opening morning at the St. Clair Flats Managed Waterfowl Hunt Area. Belcher took his son along on the coveted southern zone opener. John Darling and Harold Huber, local DNR staffers, gave a tour of the area, put the Belchers up for the night and played guide for them the next morning. The hunters were able to come home with a few less shells and, most importantly, some ducks to show for it.
Belcher was one of three hunters who won the Pure Michigan Hunt last year, which awarded him a prize package every hunter only dreams about. Each winner received licenses to hunt elk, bear, spring and fall turkey, antlerless deer, and first pick on opening morning at any managed waterfowl area. In addition to the licenses, the three winners received an amazing hunter’s prize package of guns and gear.
Belcher was able to bag a 12-point buck during archery season with one of his Pure Michigan Hunt prizes, a complete Darton crossbow package. On opening morning of firearm deer season, he took an eight-point buck, and for the first time in a long time, he took two bucks.
With the December elk season coming up soon, Belcher is getting ready for his elk hunt and planning to take his entire family along. As a Pure Michigan Hunt winner, he was able to hunt elk in September, but could be choosy enough to opt out of harvesting an elk during that period. Unlike a normal elk license, a Pure Michigan Hunt elk license allows winners to hunt during all hunt periods until the elk is harvested.
Do you want to be the next Pure Michigan Hunt winner? Apply now!
Grab unlimited $4 applications online www.mdnr-elicense.com or anywhere hunting licenses are sold. Applications must be purchased by Dec. 31, 2012. The three winners will be drawn, and drawing results will be posted online on Jan. 28, 2013.
This year’s prize package includes all limited-quota licenses and the following gear:
- 2012 Darton crossbow package
- 30.06 rifle from Michigan Gun Owners
- 12 GA shotgun from the Lake Effect Chapter of the Michigan Duck Hunters Association
- Camouflage ground blind from Ameristep
- Guided spring turkey hunt from East Lake Outfitters
- Custom rear-window graphic from Steel Skinz Graphics
- Gas cards and subscriptions from MUCC
- Sitka camouflage clothing from Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
- Camouflage vest, custom box call and patch from the National Wild Turkey Federation
- Rapid River knife, duck decoy and membership from Ducks Unlimited
- Herd monitoring kit and membership from the Quality Deer Management Association
- National and local memberships from Safari Club International
Sweatshirt and hat from the Southwest Lake Erie chapter of Waterfowl USA
Image courtesy Michigan Department of Natural Resources