A sure cure for cabin fever, the spring steelhead season opens January 1, but anglers will need a 2013 fishing license and steelhead permit.
Spring steelhead seasons open on the:
- Salmon River from its mouth to the posted boundary 100 yards downstream of the Sawtooth Fish Hatchery weir, near the town of Stanley.
- Little Salmon River from its mouth to the U.S. Highway 95 Bridge near Smokey Boulder Road.
- Snake River from the Washington state line at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers upstream to Oxbow Dam.
- Clearwater River main stem and Middle Fork Clearwater River from its mouth to Clear Creek.
- North Fork Clearwater River from its mouth to Dworshak Dam.
- South Fork Clearwater River from its mouth to the confluence of American and Red Rivers.
- Boise River from its mouth to the Barber Dam.
The season runs through April 30 in most areas, except:
- On the Salmon River from Lake Creek Bridge to Long Tom Creek, about a quarter mile upstream of the Middle Fork, the season ends March 31.
- On the Little Salmon River the season runs through May 15.
- On the Boise River upstream to Barber Dam, the season ends May 31.
Image courtesy Idaho Fish and Game Fish and Game