Looking to switch up your workout routine? Now you can enjoy exercise in the great outdoors! Imagine meditating in a yoga class on the beach, or practicing tai chi in the peaceful surroundings of nature. Michigan state parks are offering fitness classes this summer through the DNR’s new Fresh Air Fit program.
Whether you’re just starting on your fitness journey or are a seasoned veteran looking for a change of scenery for your workout routine, there’s a Fresh Air Fit class that fits your needs and interests. Several classes are already under way at the state parks, with more starting soon. Below are a few of the current class offerings:
Bay City State Recreation Area (Bay County)
- Martial Arts Outdoor Bootcamp: June 4 – June 27, Tuesdays/Thursdays at 11 a.m.
- Tai Chi: Wednesday, June 12 at 6 p.m.; June 19 – Aug. 21, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m.
Brighton State Recreation Area (Livingston County)
- SNAG Fitness Golf for children: June 1 – 29, Saturdays at 11 a.m.
Burt Lake State Park (Emmet County)
- Fitness Rocks: June 1 – June 29, Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays at 9 a.m.
Charles Mears State Park (Oceana County)
- Yoga on the Beach: June 12 – Aug. 28, Wednesdays at 9:30 a.m.
Fort Custer Recreation Area (Kalamazoo, Calhoun, Barry counties)
- Feel Good Yoga: June 22, July 13, Aug. 17, Sept. 21, Oct. 12, Saturdays at 9 a.m.
Grand Haven State Park (Ottawa County)
- Zumba Beach Party: June 10 – Aug. 14, Mondays/Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m.
Interlochen State Park(Grand Traverse County)
- Low Impact Aerobics: June 15 – Sept. 28, Saturdays at 9 a.m. (no class July 6 or Aug. 17)
- Warrior X Fit Kickboxing: June 28, July 5, July 19, Fridays at 9 a.m.
Island Lake State Recreation Area (Livingston County)
- Warrior Fit Training, Core Conditioning, Beach Boot Camp, Cardio:
Dates and times vary: www.michigan.gov/islandlake
Ludington State Park (Mason County)
- Group Fitness: June 11 – Aug. 29, Tuesdays/Thursdays at 8:30 a.m.
Muskegon State Park (Muskegon County)
- Beach Boot Camp: June 10 – Aug. 31, Mondays at 5:45 p.m., Saturdays at 10 a.m.
- EcoTrek Fitness:
- Blockhouse: June 29 at 8 a.m., July 15 at 6 p.m.
- Snug Harbor: July 4 at 9 a.m., July 29 at 6 p.m.
Orchard Beach State Park (Manistee County)
- Jazzercise: June 6 – Aug. 29, Thursdays at 5:30 p.m.
- Beach Fitness for Youth: June 8 – Aug. 17, Saturdays at 10 a.m.
Petoskey State Park (Emmet County)
- Fitness Rocks: June 1 – June 29, Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays at 9 a.m.
Pinckney Recreation Area (Washtenaw, Livingston counties)
- Summer Solstice Yoga: Friday, June 21 at 6 p.m.
Silver Lake State Park (Oceana County)
- Tai Chi: June 11 – Aug. 27, Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m.
Wilderness State Park (Emmet County)
- Yoga on the Beach: June 11 – Aug. 23, Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.
Many more classes are listed online at www.michigan.gov/freshfit. Fresh Air Fit program costs vary; please check the online event listing for instructor contact information and contact the instructor directly about payment, registration, cancellation policy and other details.
The Recreation Passport is an easy, affordable way for residents to enjoy and support outdoor recreation opportunities in Michigan. By checking “YES” for the $11 Recreation Passport ($5 for motorcycles) when renewing a license plate through the Secretary of State (by mail, kiosk, online at www.expresssos.com or at branch offices), Michigan motorists get access to state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds, nonmotorized state trailhead parking and state boat launches. In addition, Recreation Passport holders can enjoy real savings at businesses and retailers that participate in the Passport Perks discount program. The Recreation Passport is valid until the next license plate renewal date. Nonresidents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($30.50 annual; $8.40 daily) at any state park or recreation area or through the Michigan e-Store at www.michigan.gov/estore.
Learn more about this creative way of sustaining Michigan’s outdoor recreation and natural resources at www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport. For information on Passport Perks shopping discounts or how businesses and retailers can enroll in the program, visit www.michigan.gov/passportperks.