Student Bitten by Coral Snake After Bringing it to School
OutdoorHub Reporters 03.02.18
A Florida teenager was taken to the hospital after being bitten by a venomous snake at school.
Orlando Sentinel reports that the 19-year-old student, who attends University High School in Orange City, found a coral snake outside of school, and brought it in to show classmates Wednesday. Apparently, the bite happened in the school’s courtyard shortly after school had let out.
Paramedics immediately responded to the scene, and transferred the student to Sanford Hospital. The student’s condition is unknown at this time.
Coral snakes are known for packing one of the most venomous bites of any North American snake. They can be identified by their red, yellow and black colored bands that cover their bodies, though they sometimes get mixed up with a nearly identical nonvenomous snake.