Pierre, SD – The Game, Fish and Parks Department has opened the application process for the 2012 South Dakota Mountain Lion hunting season.
The season is open statewide from Jan.1 through March 31, or closed when a harvest limit of 70 total mountain lions or 50 female mountain lions is reached.
Applications may be submitted any time through the end of the season.
However, there are application deadlines for a limited number of Free Access Permits allowing mountain lion hunting in Custer State Park. There will be six different intervals for hunting inside the park, with six different application deadlines:
- Application deadline – Dec. 6 for hunting interval Jan. 1-15
- Application deadline – Dec. 20 for hunting interval Jan. 16-30
- Application deadline – Jan. 8 for hunting interval Jan. 31-Feb. 14
- Application deadline – Jan. 22 for hunting interval Feb. 15-29
- Application deadline – Feb. 8 for hunting interval Mar. 1-15
- Application deadline – Feb. 22 for hunting interval Mar. 16-31
Hunters are allowed one license for the mountain lion season.
All permit holders are required to maintain daily contact by phone or website to ensure that the season is still in progress and has not been closed if the limit is reached. That information will be updated as each mountain lion is harvested and can be accessed by calling 1-866-895-9067, or by visiting the GFP website http://gfp.sd.gov/ .
The phone number was incorrectly listed on the back page of the printed application form, but is listed correctly with the information inside the form.