Pile Burns South of Flagstaff, Arizona to Continue Thursday
Flagstaff, AZ – Pending favorable conditions tomorrow, Thursday January 5, fire managers plan to burn 50 acres of piles on the Eastside Project, south of Flagstaff, southwest of Herold Ranch Road. Smoke will rise and disperse to the west and southwest with the forecast winds. Smoke will be visible south of Little America hotel. Piles are smaller and will be consumed before nightfall producing little residual smoke, however, some smoke may be noticeable near the Forestdale and Pine Canyon neighborhoods overnight.
Prescribed fire activity is dependent on personnel availability, weather – including winds and ventilation, and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (www.azdeq.gov).
Fire managers make every effort to minimize smoke impacts to the communities while continuing to address the critical need to reduce the risk of severe wildfires around those communities. Tactics to keep smoke impacts as minimal as possible include cancelling burns when conditions aren’t favorable, finding alternative uses for the debris in slash piles, timing ignitions to allow the majority of smoke time to disperse prior to settling overnight, and burning larger sections at a time when conditions are favorable to reduce the overall number of days smoke is in the area.
In addition, the Coconino National Forest coordinates prescribed fire plans with the partners of the Ponderosa Fire Advisory Council (which includes state and local fire departments), as well as neighboring forests, to reduce the impact of smoke on the communities.
The public can obtain additional prescribed fire information via the following:
- Prescribed Fire Hotline: 928-226-4607
- Coconino National Forest Website: www.fs.usda.gov/coconino
- Click on “Prescribed Fire” on the right of the page
- Sign-up for regular email notifications of planned burns: http://www.fs.fed.us/news/subscription Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF
- Choose “Southwestern Region”
- Local Ranger Stations: Flagstaff Ranger District, 928-526-0866; Red Rock Ranger District (Sedona) 928-203-2900; Mogollon Rim Ranger District (Blue Ridge) 928-477-2255