Announcing 2012’s Top Winter Festivals in New York’s Adirondack Region
This February, join revelers from around the world and discover unique Adirondack Winter Carnivals and New York winter festivals with events like the Ladies’ Fry Pan Toss, Polar Bear Plunge and Hot Air Balloon Fly-Off.
The Adirondack Region of Northern New York is a six-million-acre wilderness park, offering unparalleled outdoor recreation opportunities year-round. From skiing the greatest vertical drop in the east at Whiteface Mountain, to attending the longest running winter festival in the eastern United States – the Adirondack Region offers revelry and entertainment all season long.
Check out these Adirondack Winter Festivals in 2012:
- The Saranac Lake Winter Carnival is touted by National Geographic Traveler as one of the “Top 10 Winter Carnivals” in the world. For 115 years, this annual winter celebration has transformed the Village of Saranac Lake. On February 3, the carnival kicks off with a bang as the opening Fireworks signal the start of the 10-day festival. Enjoy fun for the whole family and special carnival events. Watch the Curlers toss stones, join in local ski races, toss a cast-iron pan, and snag a front row spot for the Gala Parade. Don’t miss a tour through the Carnival’s crowned jewel – the Ice Palace. Constructed from ice blocks quarried in nearby Lake Flower, the palace is the perfect place to watch the Carnival’s opening and closing fireworks.
- Lake George Winter Carnival offers festivities throughout February. Every weekend, the village of Lake George heads outside to revel in the snow. Dive in during the Polar Bear Plunge, play ice golf, enjoy fireworks, a giant snow slide and ice castle. Take a ride in a hot air balloon and don’t miss the “Moon Glow” and “Fly Off,” where hot air balloons will rise into the wintry sky.
- WinterXCape Winterfest in Lowville is slated for February 4. Enjoy horse-drawn sleigh rides, dogsled rides, a petting zoo, geo-caching, cross-country skiing, a snowman contest, refreshments and more.
- WinterFest in Indian Lake, slated for February 17-19, promises a jam-packed weekend of Adirondack events. Enjoy ski and snowboarding races, a craft fair, the annual snowmobile poker run and organized snowshoe outings.
- Raquette Lake Winter Carnival kicks off February 18-19. Celebrate winter and enjoy winter sports events, a bonfire and fireworks in this idyllic Adirondack village.
- Inlet’s Frozen Fire & Lights on February 25 offers a full day of family fun with free sledding, ice-skating, snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. Enjoy fireworks, a bonfire and complimentary refreshments.
- Tri-Town Winterfest in the St. Lawrence River Valley kicks off the second weekend in February and lasts all week long. Enjoy outdoor concerts and theatrical shows, scrapbooking demos and workshops, a chili cook-off and the Polar Bear Golf Tournament.