The Bass Federation (TBF), in partnership with FLW Outdoors, and the Arizona Bass Federation announced it will host the 2012 Student Angler Federation (SAF) Arizona High School Fishing State Championship. The event will be Saturday, April 7 on Lake Pleasant launching out of the South Ramp near Hook Up Outfitters in Peoria, Ariz.
The championship is a two person team event for students in grades 9-12. Registration for anglers and their “coach,” who will provide the boat they compete in, is online at HighSchoolFishing.org. Check-in begins at 6pm MST on Friday, April 6, at the Hampton Inn in Anthem, Ariz., with a mandatory rules briefing at 7pm MST. We highly encourage all teams to preregister online or by phone in advance to avoid late registration fees.
“Both the Arizona Bass Federation and the Arizona Game & Fish Department are thrilled to be hosting the 2012 SAF Arizona High School Fishing State Championship,” Tournament Director, Keith Espe, stated. “We’re eager to bring these young anglers and their families to an awesome fishery in Lake Pleasant in what promises to be another great SAF event!”
Students and parents can go to HighSchoolFishing.org for details on the Student Angler Federation (SAF) and to sign up. Cost is only $25/ year and includes full TBF and FLW Outdoors benefits, including access to the all-new FLW Outdoors Magazine e-Edition and insurance coverage for students and their club. The winning two-person team from each state championship will advance to an FLW Outdoors/TBF High School Fishing Conference Championship held in conjunction with a National Guard FLW College Fishing Conference Championship. Those winners will advance to the FLW Outdoors/TBF High School Fishing National Championship held in conjunction with the National Guard FLW College Fishing National Championship in the spring of 2013. All SAF members and state championship participants qualify for the largest event in high school fishing, the 2012 High School Fishing World Finals to compete for thousands of dollars in college scholarships and prizes. Each team that qualifies for a conference and/or national championship will receive a travel allowance to help offset expenses. The National Champions will also each receive a $5,000 scholarship to use at the university of their choice.
If you’re not an SAF member, there’s a $25/per angler fee, which includes full TBF/FLW Outdoors membership benefits for the year, as well as, free entry to ALL SAF sanctioned events!
Another unique feature of an SAF sanctioned event is the “angler testing” component. Anglers can take a free online test at HighSchoolFishing.org about boater safety, conservation and angler ethics, which makes them eligible for contingency awards at their state championship. “It’s an industry first by TBF and a tremendous way to emphasize the importance of education to these student anglers,” SAF Program Manager, Alex Craw, commented. “The Federation is driven by our desire to promote education through fishing and the testing component is designed to do exactly that. We also offer all TBF/SAF members 11 free online training courses in our member’s only online store with Faculty of Fishing’s angler advantage program. Put this package together with all the programs our affiliated state federations like the Arizona Bass Federation have to offer, and our partnership with FLW Outdoors, and the sky is the limit,” Craw continued. “These young anglers and their families have opportunities unlike anything the industry has ever seen.”
- State Championship sign-up: PRE-REGISTER ONLINE at HighSchoolFishing.org. Boat numbers are determined by date registered. A $25 late registration fee applies to those registering at check-in. The best way is to pre-register online at highschoolfishing.org.
- Mandatory Check-in: Friday, April 6, 6-7pm MST, at the Hampton Inn, 42415 N. 41st Dr., Anthem, AZ,
- 85086; Mandatory rules briefing to follow at 7pm. All participants will receive some free fishing tackle compliments of Cabela’s and the Arizona Bass Federation.
- Takeoff & Weigh-in: Saturday, April 7, at the South Ramp near Hook Up Outfitters on Lake Pleasant, 8708 W Harbor Blvd., Peoria, AZ, 85383. Takeoff is at 6am and weigh-in times will be announced at the Mandatory rules briefing. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-765-9031
- Host Hotel: Hampton Inn of Phoenix/Anthem, 42415 N. 41st Dr., Anthem, AZ, 85086; King and double queen rooms will be discounted at $79 plus tax, April 5-8. Call 623.465.7979 and ask for the SAF High School Fishing Tournament group rate. The Hampton Inn is located about twenty minutes from the South Ramp and rooms must be reserved by March 16 to lock in the discounted room rate!