The Michigan Department of Natural Resources’ Western Lake Superior Management Unit in Fisheries Division has announced meetings in Ishpeming, Ironwood and Houghton to discuss statewide fishing regulation proposals.
The meetings will be held on the following dates in the following locations:
- April 3, 2012 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (eastern time) at the Ishpeming Township Hall, Highway M-28 in west Ishpeming, Michigan
- April 4, 2012 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (eastern time)/6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (central time) at Gogebic Community College, Lindquist Center in Ironwood, Michigan
- April 5, 2012 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (eastern time) at Michigan Technological University, Isle Royale Ballroom A-2 in Houghton, Michigan
Several statewide regulation proposals will be discussed, including the following:
- Brook trout daily possession limits for Upper Peninsula streams.
- Northern pike size and possession limits.
- Muskellunge size and possession limits.
- Prohibiting the recreational take of the newly listed special concern species – queen snake and western lesser siren.
More specific information will be available at the public meetings and on the DNR’s website regarding the above statewide proposals. There will also be an opportunity to comment on these statewide proposals by email and through other public survey methods.
For more information on the Western Lake Michigan Management Unit meetings, contact George Madison at Madisong@michigan.gov or 906-353-6651