Kora Shedenhelm led a record-setting day for Omaha Mater Dei Academy at the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) state tournament March 24 in Lincoln.
Shedenhelm set a Nebraska record in scoring 284 points for the top girls’ score. Teammate Harrison Crawford had the high boys’ score of 278. They helped Mater Dei Academy score a state-record 3,172 points to win the high school team division. Crawford and teammate Corie Fischer were the highest-scoring senior boy and girl, with 278 and 274 points, respectively.
The state individual record was broken three times during the tournament. First, Alisha Sheets of Lincoln North Star High School scored a 281 to set the new mark by three points. Then Kasey Dunaski of Lincoln Dawes Middle School shot a 282 before Shedenhelm recorded her 284.
The tournament at the Lancaster Event Center drew 400 elementary, middle school and high school archers from 19 schools. The tournament was the culminating event in the state for NASP, which is a physical education curriculum that has spread across the nation.
The following teams qualified for the NASP national tournament May 11-12 in Louisville, Ky., by winning a state championship or meeting a score requirement:
High School Division – Omaha Mater Dei Academy, Lincoln North Star; Middle School Division – Lincoln Pound; Elementary Division – Lincoln Blessed Sacrament.
All top-five individual finishers also qualified for nationals. The top finishers in each division were:
- High School Girls – 1. Kora Shedenhelm, Omaha Mater Dei Academy, 284 points (state record); 2. Alisha Sheets, Lincoln North Star, 281; 3. Meilani Hafkamp, Mater Dei, 277; 4. Corie Fischer, Mater Dei, 274 (won tiebreaker); 5. Holly Dillard, Lincoln North Star, 274.
- High School Boys – 1. Harrison Crawford, Omaha Mater Dei Academy, 278 points; 2. Sky Waychoff, South Platte Public, 275; 3. Xanth Williams, Mater Dei, 270; 4. Terry Peterman, South Platte Public, 268 (won tiebreaker); 5. Tyson Renshaw, Lincoln North Star, 268.
- Middle School Girls – 1. Kasey Dunaski, Lincoln Dawes, 282; 2. Makenzie Bruner, Lincoln Pound, 260 (won tiebreaker); 3. Emma Masten, Lincoln Pound, 260; 4. Jenna Dejonge, Lincoln Pound, 256; 5. Grace McManaman, Lincoln Pound, 254.
- Middle School Boys – 1. Eric Kassebaum, Lincoln Dawes, 269 (won tiebreaker); 2. Daniel Aldin, Lincoln St. John the Apostle, 269; 3. Devin Sobotka, Lincoln Pound, 268; 4. Will Addy, Lincoln St. John the Apostle, 260 (won tiebreaker); 5. Cale Frahm, Superior, 260.
- Elementary Girls – 1. Maddy Conrad, Lincoln St. John the Apostle, 248 points; 2. Jaci Tubbs, Lincoln North American Martyrs, 246; 3. Jordan Winquest, Omaha All Saints Catholic, 234; 4. Makenna Jensen, Superior, 230; 5. Monae Griffin, Oakland-Craig, 226.
- Elementary Boys – 1. Chase Stewart, Lincoln Blessed Sacrament, 265; 2. Ben Price, Superior, 264; 3. Carson Stewart, Lincoln Blessed Sacrament, 260; 4. Zachary Schroer, Lincoln Pound, 256; 5. Collin Mahler, Lincoln Blessed Sacrament, 253.
- Team Awards
- High School Division – 1. Omaha Mater Dei Academy No. 1, 3,172 points (state record); 2. Lincoln North Star, 3,054; 3. Mater Dei No. 2, 2,998.
- Middle School Division – 1. Lincoln Pound, 2,935; 2. Superior, 2,827; 3. Lincoln Dawes, 2,754.
- Elementary Division – 1. Lincoln Blessed Sacrament, 2,395 points; 2. Lincoln North American Martyrs, 2,163.