If you’re 15 years of age or younger—and riding in an airboat and learning about duck hunting sounds like fun—you need to be at the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area on the morning of Sept. 7. Sept. 7 is the day the Utah Waterfowl Association will host its Ninth Annual Youth Fair.
The free event, which includes a free lunch provided by Camp Chef, starts at 8 a.m. Anyone who is 15 years of age or younger can participate, and each participant will receive a prize. The Division of Wildlife Resources is one of the event’s cosponsors.
In addition to eating lunch and participating in a Youth Bow Challenge, the following are among the things you can do at the fair:
• If you’re one of the first 300 youth who attends, you’ll get a free duck call.
• You can ride in an airboat. You can also ride in boats that are powered by engines called “mud motors.”
• Learn how to hunt diver ducks from a layout boat.
• Learn how to call ducks. Utah state duck calling champion Brett Wonnacott will teach you how.
• Participate in a duck decoy tossing game.
• Learn how to fish with a bow and arrow.
• Learn how to catch bass.
Several groups have come together to make the youth fair happen. They include the Utah Waterfowl Association, Sportsman’s Warehouse, Fowl Minded, Widow Maker Boats, KSL Outdoors with Adam Eakle, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, the DWR, and others. For more information on the event and a full list of partners, visit utahwaterfowlfair.com.
The Farmington Bay WMA is near Great Salt Lake on the west side of Farmington. To reach the WMA, follow these directions:
• If you’re traveling north on Interstate 15, coming from Salt Lake City and other areas south of Farmington:
Travel north on I-15, and exit the freeway at Exit 322. After you exit the freeway, the off ramp will fork left and right—stay to the right. After the road forks, take your first right turn, and continue south on the frontage road to the stop sign on Glover Lane. Turn right on Glover Lane, and follow the road west. Travel to 1325 W. Glover Lane, and turn left into the WMA.
• If you’re traveling south on Interstate 15, coming from Ogden and other areas north of Farmington:
Travel south on I-15 and exit the freeway at Exit 325. Go to the stoplight and turn right on Park Lane. Travel south to the next light, which is at Clark Lane, and turn right. Travel west to the first stop sign, which is at 1525 West, and turn left. Travel south to Glover Lane. Turn left (east) on Glover Lane, and travel to 1325 W. Then turn right into the WMA.
Image courtesy Utah Division of Wildlife Resources