Seven teams and individuals, made up of more than 30 youth, were able to showcase their outdoors knowledge and demonstrate their skills at the recent State Youth Hunter Education Challenge (YHEC) at the Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center.
Team and individual results are as follows:
- 1st Place Senior Team – Ducks Unlimited Team from Bulloch County
- 2nd Place Senior Team – GA Pride Team from Jones County
- 3rd Place Senior Team – GOB Team from Jones County
- 1st Place Junior Team – National Wild Turkey Federation Team from Bulloch County
The overall high scorers for the event were:
- Senior Division – Jacob Deal (487), winning him a muzzleloader
- Junior Division – Isaac Deal (412), winning him a lock-on tree stand
Teams and individuals competed in regional YHEC events throughout the year to qualify for the state competition. First place teams in the state YHEC are now eligible to compete in the 2014 NRA International YHEC scheduled for July 20-25 at Mill Cove Environmental Center in Mansfield, Pa.
This competition, which was open to all hunter education-certified youth, 18 years of age and younger, aims to test participants’ abilities in multiple outdoor skills, such as 3-D archery trail, orienteering, shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, shotgun, rifle and a hunter safety trail. The event was hosted by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division.
Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center is located near Mansfield, less than an hour southeast of Atlanta off Interstate 20. The address is 543 Elliott Trail, Mansfield 30055.
Dates and locations of YHEC events, plus practice tests and program information, are available at www.georgiawildlife.com/YHEC.
Logo courtesy Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division