Upland bird hunters will be enjoying the pheasant season with friends and family this fall. The season runs Oct. 26-Jan. 31, 2014.
The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission has the following reminders so hunters have a fun and safe experience:
- It is illegal to hunt or shoot from any public roadway, bridge or right-of-way.
- It is illegal to hunt on private property without first obtaining permission.
- It is illegal to hunt within 100 yards (200 yards with a rifle) of an inhabited dwelling or livestock feedlot without first obtaining permission.
- It is illegal to have a loaded shotgun in a vehicle.
- Load and unload the shotgun in the field, not at the vehicle. Recheck the gun at the vehicle following the hunt.
- Always know where the muzzle is pointed and never allow it to be pointed at anyone.
- Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.
- Always know what is beyond or behind your target.
- Be sure you have a clear zone of fire before pulling the trigger.
- Make yourself more visible by wearing hunter orange clothing and head gear.
Hunt permits may be purchased at OutdoorNebraska.org.
Logo courtesy Nebraska Game and Parks Commission