With the November firearm deer season nearing, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission has several reminders for keeping hunters safe.
Deer hunters should:
- Wear at least 400 square inches of blaze orange on his or her head, chest and back. This is required for any person hunting deer during the Nov. 16-24 firearm deer season, including archers.
- Never allow the muzzle of their firearm to be pointed at something they do not intend to shoot.
- Know their target and what lies beyond that target.
- Know their effective range and only place shots at vital organs.
- Always use a full-body harness when hunting from a tree stand. In addition, they should be sure the equipment is in good condition, avoid hunting from heights greater than 15 feet, maintain a short tether to the tree, use a haul line to raise and lower equipment, and always stay attached to the tree when climbing up to and down from the stand.
Logo courtesy Nebraska Game and Parks Commission