NWTF Minnesota Pledges $107,750 to Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt. in 2014
National Wild Turkey Federation 05.07.14
National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) chapters in Minnesota budgeted more than $107,750 to further the Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt. initiative within the state in 2014. The NWTF’s Minnesota State Chapter board of directors reviewed and allocated funding. Valuable partners will provide nearly $400,000 in match funding.
“The Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt. initiative is supported by our state boards and chapter members,” said Becky Humphries, executive vice president of conservation. “Hunting Heritage Super Fund money is critical to implementing the initiative, and investing in focal landscapes and hunter recruitment.”
The NWTF’s Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt. initiative is a charge that mobilizes science, fundraising and devoted volunteers to give the NWTF more energy and purpose than ever. Through this national initiative, NWTF has committed to raising $1.2 billion to conserve and enhance more than 4 million acres of essential upland wildlife habitat, create at least 1.5 million hunters and open access to 500,000 acres for hunting, shooting and outdoor enjoyment. Without hunters, there will be no wildlife or habitat. The NWTF is determined to Save the Habitat. Save the Hunt.
The board of directors dedicated $40,000 in NWTF funding to proposed Hunting Heritage Super Fund projects that conserve and enhance 655 acres of vital habitat in Minnesota. Projects include:
- Planting crops and mast-producing trees and shrubs to provide high-quality turkey food
- Maintaining wildlife openings and trails to create and enhance brood cover
- Treating woody invasive species that prevent forest regeneration
- Restoring native grasslands and oak savanna to provide brood cover
- Providing NWTF members with low cost seed and seedlings
The Board also provided $67,750 to support education, outreach and hunter access efforts to save hunting in Minnesota. Funding includes:
- JAKES, Women in the Outdoors and Wheelin’ Sportsmen events to provide outdoor education and experience for youth, women and people with disabilities
- Scholarships and other educational programs across the state
- 4-H shooting sports, hunters safety and National Archery in the Schools programs
- Mentored turkey hunts for youth
- Increased access so hunters have places to hunt
Proceeds from Hunting Heritage Banquets help fund NWTF projects in Minnesota.