Attractants can be one of the most powerful weapons in a hunter’s arsenal. Used correctly, it can bring the bucks in from long distances and set you up for the perfect shot.
- Most hunters use scents to attract bucks. Remember that adult bucks responding to scent invariably try to get downwind to check the scent and to detect danger.
- Also remember that adult bucks try to remain in cover. You can setup in the cover if you are sure the buck won’t detect you.
- Try to position yourself crosswind of the buck’s travel route to avoid detection.
- If nearby cover is present and a more open area crosswind of the cover, then setup in the open area. Give the buck the cover while you wait in the area it won’t use, and where you won’t be detected.
- You can also setup downwind of the buck’s approach while luring the buck to a position upwind of you.
- If you are bow hunting be sure to place the scent close enough for a shot.
- Don’t put your stand in a direct line with the buck’s line of travel; you may be seen.
- For the same reason you should keep your stand site a comfortable distance from the trail itself; far enough away to avoid detection, but close enough for a shot.
Hunting with scents will give you a great advantage this season. Follow the tips below and be sure to get the most bang for your buck.