Sshhhh! I’ve gone all silent recently. Yes, I’ve been bitten by the suppressor bug. You know what they say, once you go suppressed, you never go back.

Anytime I bring a pile of suppressors to the range, I get a lot of questions.

“Are those legal?”

“Are you law enforcement?”

“Can anyone buy one of those?”

The short answers are yes, no, and yes, for the most part.

As I write this, 39 of the 50 states allow us regular civilian citizens to purchase and use suppressors. The confusion stems from the fact that silencers are restricted under the National Firearms Act (NFA). That means that you can’t just walk into a store and buy one, you have to go through a few extra steps. The process may sound complicated, but once you wrap your brain around the basic concept, it’s fairly easy. The good news is that your local silencer dealer knows the process inside out and will walk you through it. By the way, the process is mostly identical for other NFA items like short-barreled rifles (SBRs).

Let’s take a look at the legal requirements, then we’ll drill down into the two basic ways you can legally buy your own suppressors. I’ve pulled the legal ownership requirements from information available from the American Suppressor Association. They’re your go-to resource for the latest info on silencer ownership. There you’ll also find current information about which states offer legal ownership.

  • Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a suppressor from a dealer.
  • Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a suppressor from an individual on a Form 4 to Form 4 transfer (contingent on state laws).
  • Be at least 18 years of age to possess a suppressor as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).
  • Be a resident of the United States.
  • Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm.
  • Pass a BATFE background check.
  • Pay a one-time $200 Transfer Tax.
  • Reside in one of the 39 states that currently allows civilian ownership of suppressors.
Once you go suppressed, you never go back. Here's an FNX 45 Tactical with SilencerCo Osprey 45.
Once you go suppressed, you never go back. Here’s an FNX 45 Tactical with a SilencerCo Osprey 45. Image by Tom McHale.

Assuming you meet the federal legal requirements, and live in one of the eligible 39 states, there are two approaches to buying silencers. You can purchase them as an individual or you can form a legal entity called a trust, and have the trust purchase the suppressor for you and other trust members.

Individual purchase

The advantage to buying as an individual is that you don’t have to complete any legal shenanigans before placing your order. You walk into a store and start the process, which we’ll detail in a minute. The downside is that you, and only you, can possess and use the silencer. If you “transfer” it to someone else, the other party has to go through the same paperwork rigamarole that you did to acquire it in the first place. The law is a bit gray as to the legality of going to the range with a friend or family member and allowing them to use the device in your presence. Technically, this could be considered a transfer, but to my knowledge, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) is not looking to prosecute this type of use case. But don’t take my word for it, they can do what they want.

For the general populace, there are two approaches to buying a suppressor: purchasing as an individual and using an NFA trust. Image by Matt Korovesis.
For the general populace, there are two approaches to buying a suppressor: purchasing as an individual and using an NFA trust. Image by Matt Korovesis.

Here are the steps to buying as an individual:

  1. Find a silencer you like at your local Class III dealer. You’ll most likely have to pay for it in advance, or at least leave a deposit, even though you won’t be able to take possession of it right away. Financial terms may vary.
  2. The dealer will help you complete an ATF Form 4 with the model and serial number of your suppressor. You’ll need two copies of this application.
  3. You will need to get (and some dealers may do this) two passport photos.
  4. Next, you’ll need to get fingerprint cards. Many local police departments will do this, but call first to be sure. I actually got mine done once at the county jail booking facility. I was only there for the fingerprints, really.
  5. Attach a check or money order made out to BATFE in the amount of $200.
  6. You will then need to obtain a signature on your application forms from the local chief law enforcement official. Some officials do this and some don’t, so ask your local dealer how to best complete this step—they’ll know the local politics.
  7. Mail all of this to BATFE.
  8. If not already in stock, the suppressor arrives at your dealer and they hold it until BATFE approval is complete.
  9. BATFE will return to your dealer one of your Form 4 copies complete with a nifty green tax stamp affixed. It’s a really attractive and colorful stamp. It should be, as it just cost you $200.
  10. You take possession of the silencer.

Once you have your tax stamp document, scan or copy it and save the original in a very safe place. Always keep a copy of your tax stamp form with your suppressor. You need to be able to produce that on demand by Uncle BATFE.

Creating an NFA trust

This sounds complicated, but American entrepreneurs have made the process surprisingly easy. You shouldn’t even have to find your own lawyer. There are services online that have done the homework and are able to quickly produce a trust for you that’s legal in all suppressor-eligible states. After all, a trust is not a physical thing, it’s a pile of paper that defines a legal entity. In the case of an NFA trust, an entity is created (a little like a partnership or company) that buys and maintains ownership of the NFA items or suppressors, in this case. The trust designates trustees, who are authorized users of the trust assets (again, suppressors in this case).

There are several online services that help a user create a trust for purchasing NFA items.
There are several online services that help a user create a trust for purchasing NFA items. Image by Matt Korovesis.

There are a couple of big advantages to creating a trust. You only have to do it one time and the trust can own many NFA assets like silencers and SBRs. You can easily add and remove trustees from the trust, provided the trustees all meet the federal legal requirements. If a trustee dies, the silencers are still owned by the trust and a new trustee can be named. In the case of individual ownership, the suppressors would have the be transferred to someone else with the entire tax stamp process for individuals. The biggest benefit to the trust, as of this writing, is that each trustee does not need to submit photographs, fingerprints, or a signed approval from the local law enforcement official. Trustees must be able to pass background checks and when a trustee goes to pick up the silencer, the dealer is supposed to run a background check at that time.

There are a number of companies that offer trust-creation services online. I got mine through and the process couldn’t have been easier. Recently, SilencerCo launched its own trust service called EasyTrust. For $129.99 you’re good to go. $100 to $200 seems to be the going rate for getting a trust set up but remember, you only need to do that once.

One more thing. As the trust owns the assets, the trust needs to pay for them. The proper way to do this is to set up a checking account in the name of the trust. There are ways to transfer assets paid for individually into the trust, but you’ll need to consult your trust provider about that.

Once you’ve set up your trust, follow these steps:

  1. Bring your trust paperwork to your local Class III dealer.
  2. Bring a check from your trust checking account for $200 made out to BATFE.
  3. Choose your silencer, preferably several! You’ll need $200 for each one. Thank Uncle Sam for that.
  4. The dealer will help you complete a Form 4 with the model and serial number of your suppressor.
  5. The dealer submits your paperwork and payment to BATFE.
  6. If not already in stock, the suppressor arrives at your dealer and they hold it until BATFE approval is complete.
  7. BATFE will return to your dealer one of your Form 4 copies complete with a nifty green tax stamp affixed.
  8. You take possession of the silencer.

As with the individual purchase option, you must have your tax form present with the suppressor itself. It’s also a good idea to keep a copy of the important pages of your trust in your shooting bag also so you can prove you are a trustee of the trust named on the Form 4.

See? It’s not so bad. They key thing to remember is that your dealer has a vested interest in making this process easy for you. That way they can sell more silencers.

Do you live in one of the 11 “no silencers” states? If so, get busy and start hounding your state congress critters. Shooting suppressed is not only safer for all involved, it’s polite.

If you can't own a suppressor in your state, get in touch with your local representatives to help them get with the program.
If you can’t own a suppressor in your state, get in touch with your local representatives to help your state get with the program. Image by Matt Korovesis.

Footnote: you may have noticed that I’ve used the words silencer and suppressor interchangeably. That was on purpose, as both words are technically correct. Back in 1908, Hiram Percy Maxim patented the first silencer and named it The Maxim Silencer. It didn’t “silence” anything back then either, but that’s the correct name for the technology. Since that time, companies have adopted the word suppressor, but many also use the original name of silencer, too. You are correct calling it either.

Tom McHale is the author of the Insanely Practical Guides book series that guides new and experienced shooters alike in a fun, approachable, and practical way. His books are available in print and eBook format on Amazon.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

28 thoughts on “How to Buy a Silencer Without Really Trying

    1. The name you chose indicates you know nothing of Marxism. If Obama was a Marxist we would all have the same types of firearms and other destructive devices that military’s all over the world have. It’s your business if you want to pay a tax or make more noise. Sorry all for replying to a 2 year old post but it just irks me when folks don’t understand what Karl Mark was actually trying to accomplish. He wanted YOU and I the people who work for a living to take control of our government. Yeah Yeah stuff got all out of control and Communists gained power and Stalin killed millions, but it’s all history.

    1. Got news for ya: You’re already on more government lists than you can count. This comment alone probably added you to another one 🙂

      IMHO if you’re not gonna not buy a suppressor only because you’re worried about being on a government list, we’re far past the point of worring about government lists.

      1. Yes, but with NFA firearms, you are actually inviting the ATF inside your home on a whim without the need for those pesky, cumbersome warrants that most other regulatory agencies/LEAs need.

      2. No. This myth will never die. An NFA tax stamp provides no right of inspection for the ATF to enter your home. They have no more legal right to enter your home than anyone else.

      3. That’s exactly correct, as an FFL, even a home one, you are subject to scheduled (on premises) inspections of records and such. They can’t (in theory) just barge in, but they do have the right to schedule inspection visits, etc.

      4. Not really Carl. They still have to go through the same procedures. They still have to get a warrant. You don’t give up the 4th Amendment when you own NFA items, and you don’t get upgraded on the watch list for having a NFA item.

  1. Good information. I already own 2 silencers and just started the process for a third. Can I transfer my existing silencers into the trust or does it only work for future acquisitions?

    1. Conceptually, I believe you can transfer your silencers, but exactly how depends on your trust. If you create a trust with a service or attorney, make sure they know you want to do that.

    2. Yes you can but it is technically a transfer. Therefore, you have to pay $200 per item and file a form 4 for each item to transfer it to the trust.

  2. So even with a Trust, you still have to pay $200 for each NFA item (sbr, silencer, etc.)? IE if I want an sbr and 2 suppressors then I have to mail them $600 and 3 different forms?

    1. Unfortunately that’s correct. The trust doesn’t save you money, but it does add flexibility in buying and using among multiple people. It’s up to us to keep the pressure on to get silencers removed from the NFA list. Making them more mainstream should not be all that confrontational as it’s a safety device for all involved, shooters and people nearby.

  3. I am not going to give $200 dollars every time I wish to purchase a suppressor, nor am I going to give up any more of my Fourth Amendment right. I’ll shoot loud and proud.

    1. You do not give up your 4th Amendment rights. Research before speaking. The government cannot force you, unless you’re a criminal, to give up any of your rights. They are yours from birth and only you can forfeit them if you allow them into your home or allow them to tell you what you can say.

      Loud can also be stupid. I prefer people not knowing how often I practice or what I have. I value my privacy, unlike yourself.

      1. True, but 40-50 years ago that same $200 stamp represented a much larger chunk of your income!

  4. Hi..My dad lives in Nevada. I live in CA. If we set up a trust using his NV info, can I be added to the trust even though I live in CA? Would I be able to purchase a suppressor in NV even though I live in CA (obviously the suppressor would be stored at his place, never coming into CA)…but my ID and the background check would show I live in CA. thx.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *