You’ll need some tools and access to one of those machines that squishes pennies (or a rolling mill) for this, but it’s pretty neat to make your own lures for literally pennies on the dollar. It’ll take a bit of work though, so this is more for the satisfaction of crafting something yourself instead of just saving a few bucks.
According to makezine.com, here’s what you’ll need:
- A rolling mill (to flatten the penny)
- Letter punch with bracket sign from a punctuation letter punch set.
- Small anvil
- Fine grit sanding sponge
- Bench grinder with a buffing wheel
- Transparent nail polish (to protect the copper from oxidizing)
- Treble hook with feathers
- Two split rings
- Fishing swivel with a clip