PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department invites the public to get a first look at the proposed 2012 spring hunt recommendations for turkey, javelina, buffalo and bear regulations, as well as the recommendations for 2011-12 waterfowl and snipe regulations, at a series of regional open houses beginning July 22.
“The many wildfires that swept through the state this summer are being considered for the coming spring hunting seasons, particularly for turkey,” said Chief of Game Management, Brian Wakeling. “We will be evaluating conditions right up until the setting of the seasons at the August commission meeting.”
While there is no formal presentation given, a knowledgeable staff person will be available to discuss hunt recommendations and answer questions specific to their region.
All of the six self-paced open houses run from 3-5 p.m. and will be held at the following Game and Fish regional offices:
- Mesa – Friday, July 22, at the Region 6 Game and Fish office, 7200 E. University Drive, (480) 981-9400.
- Flagstaff – Wednesday, July 27, at the Region 2 Game and Fish office, 3500 S. Lake Mary Road, (928) 774-5045.
- Yuma – Wednesday, July 27, at the Region 4 Game and Fish office, 9140 E. 28th St., (928) 342-0091.
- Tucson – Wednesday, July 27, at the Region 5 Game and Fish office, 555 N. Greasewood Road, (520) 628-5376.
- Kingman – Thursday, July 28, at the Region 3 Game and Fish office, 5325 N. Stockton Hill Road, (928) 692-7700.
- Pinetop – Thursday, Aug. 4, at the Region 1 Game and Fish office, 2878 E. White Mountain Blvd., (928) 367-4281.
The proposed recommendation packages are anticipated to be posted Saturday, July 23, at the Game and Fish Department’s website at www.azgfd.gov/huntguidelines. This webpage is also an excellent resource to learn more about the hunt recommendation and hunt guideline processes, including when they happen, and how the public can provide input.
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission will be presented with the recommendations on Saturday, Aug. 6, during its regular meeting in Phoenix at Game and Fish headquarters on 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086. For a full agenda, visit www.azgfd.gov/commission under “Meeting Agenda.” The meeting can be attended in person, at regional offices or online via webcast.