GUNTERSVILLE, Ala. Oct. 22, 2011 – Sgt. Justin Moser and Sgt. Adam Marsh won the National Guard FLW Soldier Appreciation Tournament held on Lake Guntersville Saturday. The team, fishing with National Guard pro Mark Rose of Marion, Ark., caught three bass for a total of 10 pounds, 13 ounces to take the title and bragging rights amongst their peers.
“We were hoping to win, but I’m not that good of a fisherman,” Moser said. “But we had a real good time and Mark showed us a lot.”
Marsh said the team caught their fish on the new Alabama Rig that the FLW Tour pros were making popular during their tournament on Lake Guntersville. Marsh jokingly said the Alabama Rig consisted of a “cane pole and crickets.”
“We caught quite a few fish out there today and had a lot of fun,” Rose said. “Just to be able to spend time in a boat with a couple of guys who defend our freedom is an honor.”
“It’s a wonderful thing to serve in the National Guard,” Marsh said. “They’ve given me the opportunity to do a lot of things I wouldn’t get to do otherwise.”
Each of the participants in the National Guard FLW Soldier Appreciation Tournament are members of the Alabama National Guard. In this tournament, pro anglers took teams of two fishing to compete amongst their peers. Each team was allowed to bring in three bass. FLW Outdoors is operating the tournaments in conjunction with the National Guard to show appreciation to our service members of the National Guard.
A total of 17 service men and women, nine teams, participated in the tournament. Rounding out the teams was:
- 2nd: WO1 Brian Linz and Sgt. Dustin Sims, fishing with National Guard pro Jonathan Newton, 8-15
- 3rd: Sgt. 1st Class Shall Better and Sgt. 1st Class Jon Roth, fishing with pro Spencer Shuffield, 8-0
- 4th: Spc. Jamie Wilkins, fishing with National Guard pro Brent Ehrler, 7-1
- 5th: Pvt. 2 Dwinnon Collins and Pfc. Blake Johnson, fishing with pro Kevin Snyder, 4-15
- 6th: Sgt. 1st Class Richard Bezill and Sgt. 1st Class Marty Jones, fishing with pro Kyle Mabrey, 4-5
- 7th: E4 Dustin Bailey and E1 Quinten Bozarth, fishing with pro Jay Keith, 3-2
- 8th: Staff Sgt. Jimmy Yaborough and Sgt. 1st Class Donald Hall, fishing with National Guard pro CSM Doc McGhee, 3-1
- 9th: Sgt. Cody Pressnell and Spc. Michael Plyant, fishing with National Guard pro Justin Lucas, 2-12
The Soldier Appreciation Tournament was held in conjunction with the Walmart FLW Tour on Lake Guntersville presented by Mercury.
For complete details and updated information visit FLWOutdoors.com. For regular updates, photos, tournament news and more, follow FLW Outdoors on Facebook atFacebook.com/FLWFishing and on Twitter at Twitter.com/FLWOutdoors.
FLW Outdoors is the best in fishing, on and off the water. Anglers worldwide can compete for millions over the course of 191 tournaments in 2011. FLW Outdoors has taken fishing mainstream with the world’s richest fantasy sports game, FLW Fantasy Fishing presented by Straight Talk, where competitors can play for free as well as sign up for Player’s Advantage to gain an edge. For more information about FLW Outdoors and FLW Fantasy Fishing, visit FLWOutdoors.com or FantasyFishing.com.