Nov. 3, 2011– The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission (LWFC) re-affirmed changes to the 2011-2012 deer hunting season dates for select areas within the Atchafalaya Basin due to spring flood impacts.
The action, which extends the declaration of emergency approved in July, was recommended by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) based on estimates of deer mortality caused by recent historic flooding along the Mississippi River and subsequent opening of the Morganza Spillway on May 14.
The following 2011-2012 deer hunting season revisions will remain in effect:
Sherburne Wildlife Management Area:
- Archery, bucks only: Oct. 1 to 15
- Archery, either-sex: Oct. 16 to Feb. 15
- Youth & Physically Challenged, either-sex: Oct. 29 and 30; ALL OTHER SEASONS CLOSED. Self-clearing permits.
- Youth Lottery, either-sex: Oct. 29 and 30; and Dec. 23, 26, 28 & 30.
- Firearms, either-sex: Nov. 25 and 26, mandatory deer check.
- Firearms, bucks only: Dec. 24 to Jan. 1
- Primitive Firearms, either-sex:Jan. 7 and 8
All lands within the Morganza floodway, from the Morganza control structure, south to I-10, and from I-10 south, within the protection levees of the Atchafalaya Basin:
- Archery, Bucks Only: Oct. 1 to 15, Either-sex: Oct. 16 to Feb. 15
- Primitive Firearms, Bucks Only: Jan. 23 to 29
- Still Hunt, Either-sex: Nov. 19 to 27
- Still Hunt, Bucks Only: Nov. 28 to Dec. 9
- With or Without Dogs, Either-Sex: Dec. 10 and 11
- With or Without Dogs, Bucks Only: Dec. 12 to Jan. 15
Commission action today added the following change:
Primitive Firearms season will now be Bucks Only: Jan. 23 to 29
For more information, contact Scott Durham at 225-765-2351 or firstname.lastname@example.org.