July 13 Dealine for Resident Elk, Either-Species Firearm Deer Permit Applications in Kansas


The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) reminds hunters that resident 2012 Firearm Either-Species/Either-Sex Deer permit applications are due July 13 and are available online at ksoutdoors.com. These permits allow firearm hunters to take a mule deer or white-tailed deer of either sex. General resident permits cost $37.50. Landowner/tenant permits cost $22.50. Unsuccessful applicants will be charged a $6.50 application fee and receive one preference point for next year’s drawing.

There are two mule deer zones for resident firearm hunters. In the West Zone (Deer Management units 1, 2, 17, and 18), 1,290 permits are allocated. In the East Zone (Deer Management units 3, 4, 5, 7, and 16), 1,000 permits are allocated.

Applications for limited resident elk permits valid in Elk Management units 2, 2a (Ft. Riley), and 3 are also due July 13 and are available online. Ten Either-Sex and 15 Antlerless-Only Elk permits are allocated for this drawing.

A unlimited number of Hunt-Own-Land Antlerless Only Elk and Hunt-Own-Land Either Sex Elk permits will be available in Elk Management units 2 and 3 (most of Kansas, excluding most of Morton County and Ft. Riley). An unlimited number of General Resident Antlerless-Only Elk and General Resident Either-Sex Elk permits will be available in Elk Management Unit 3. These permits are valid during any legal elk season, and the bag limit is one elk as specified on the permit. These permits will be available July 30, 2012, through March 14, 2013.

While most elk in Kansas inhabit the Fort Riley area, some small populations may be found in western Kansas on private land. KDWPT recommends that hunters make sure they have permission to hunt before purchasing a permit.

General resident Either-Sex Elk permits cost $252.50, and landowner/tenant Either-Sex permits are $127.50. General resident Antlerless-Only Elk permits cost $102.50. Landowner/tenant Antlerless-Only Elk permits are $52.50. The fee to apply for a limited-elk permit is $7.69. Those unsuccessful in the drawing for limited permits valid on Fort Riley will receive a bonus point.

Applicants for General Resident Elk permits on Fort Riley must apply online or by phone, 620-672-0728, by July 13. For more information, visit the KDWPT website, ksoutdoors.com, or phone the nearest agency office. Elk and deer season information may be found on the website at Hunting/When to Hunt/Big Game.

Read More