The Department of Natural Resources reminds hunters that there is still plenty of time to apply for the 2013 Pure Michigan Hunt, which will give three lucky winners the opportunity to participate in every limited-license hunt in Michigan. The winners receive elk, bear, antlerless deer, and spring and fall turkey hunting licenses, as well as first choice in the daily drawings at one of the DNR’s managed waterfowl areas.
Previous winners’ stories offer vivid examples of this “hunt of a lifetime” experience.
One of the 2012 Pure Michigan Hunt winners, 38-year-old wholesale bait dealer Dan Beaudoin, went on his very first spring turkey hunt this season. After three hot days of looking and waiting for the perfect turkey near Davisburg, he took a 27-pound tom with a 6-inch beard. Beaudoin said he saw many males coming out in full strut, some in an area with hens, but he waited.
“I was choosy, I had plenty of time,” said Beaudoin, and the wait was well worth it. He then sent his harvest to the taxidermist, who said it was the largest one he had seen yet this season.
Beaudoin said he is most excited for his elk hunt, having never hunted elk in Michigan. He did take a 4-by-4 bull in Colorado once, but he’s hoping for something a bit larger this year. The Pure Michigan Hunt gives him ample opportunity, as winners can hunt in any and all open hunting areas during all hunt periods until they are successful.
Also an avid duck hunter, Beaudoin is very excited about the opportunity to hunt on the opening day of waterfowl season at one of the best places to hunt ducks in Michigan – Harsen’s Island Managed Waterfowl Area in St. Clair County.
“It’s been a couple of years since I’ve hunted ducks and I’d love to go again this year,” he said.
To enter the 2013 Pure Michigan Hunt drawing, hunters can purchase unlimited $4 applications until Dec. 31 anywhere licenses are sold or on the DNR’s E-license website. The application fee goes straight to managing and protecting Michigan’s wildlife habitat. Winners will be announced in January 2013.
In addition to every limited hunting license the state of Michigan has to offer, each winner will receive the ultimate prize package from Michigan companies and organizations:
- 2012 Terminator crossbow packages from Darton Archery
- 30.06 rifles from Michigan Gun Owners
- 12-gauge Remington 870 shotguns from Lake Effect Chapter of MI Duck Hunters Association
- Camouflage ground blinds from Ameristep
- Two-day, two-night guided spring turkey hunt from East Lake Outfitters
- Sitka camouflage custom hunting clothing from Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
- Custom turkey calls and camouflage vests from the Michigan Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation
- Rapid River Knives, custom DU decoy and memberships from the Michigan Chapter of Ducks Unlimited
- QDM herd monitoring kits from the Michigan Chapter of the Quality Deer Management Association
- Local and national memberships from the Mid-Michigan Chapter of the Safari Club International
Other prizes will be added to the package; for the up-to-date prize list visit www.michigan.gov/puremichiganhunt.
Logo courtesy of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources