Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial end of the summer, and South Dakota State Parks invite you to come out and enjoy special weekend events.
- Labor Day Patriotic Campsite Decorating Display, Oakwood Lakes State Parknear Volga and Lake Poinsett Recreation Area near Arlington, Aug. 31 – Sept. 3. Campers, bring supplies to decorate your campsites! Judging takes place on Saturday. Prizes for all! Info: 605-627-5441
- Techno-Treasure Hunt (Beginning Geocaching), Pierson Ranch Recreation Area near Yankton, Aug. 31, 7 p.m. CDT. Learn about the GPS craze that has America searching for treasure in the great outdoors. We’ll provide instruction and a limited number of GPS units. Info: 605-668-2985
- Southern Hills Triathlon, Angostura Recreation Area near Hot Springs, Sept. 1, at 7 a.m. MDT. Athletes can participate in a kids’ triathlon, sprint triathlon, Olympic distance triathlon, or duathlon. Participate as an individual or a team. Info: 605-745-6996
- Bike Rodeo, Sept. 1, 9:30 a.m. CDT at North Point Recreation Area and 11 a.m. CDT at Randall Creek Recreation Area both near Pickstown. Saddle up those bikes and join us rip roaring fun time. Info: 605-487-7046
- Labor Day Leftovers, Chief White Crane Recreation Area near Yankton, Sept. 1, 11 a.m. CDT. Take a walk in the park in the dark and learn about nocturnal animals and how they live at night. Info: 605-668-2985
- Monarch Butterfly Tagging, Palisades State Park near Garretson, Sept. 1, 2 p.m. CDT. Learn the life cycle of the monarch butterfly then help in identifying, recording, tagging and releasing butterflies on their way to Mexico. Info: 605-594-3824
- Walk in the Park in the Dark, Big Sioux Recreation Area near Brandon, Sept. 1, 9 p.m. CDT. Take a walk in the park in the dark and learn about nocturnal animals and how they live at night. Info: 605-582-7243
- Bicycle Parades, Sept. 2, at 9:30 a.m. CDT at North Point Recreation Area and 11:30 a.m. CDT at Randall Creek Recreation Area both near Pickstown. Kids need to bring only their bikes, as decorations will be provided for this end-of-the-summer event! Info: 605-487-7046.
- Newton Hills Riddle Hunt, Newton Hills State Park near Canton, Sept. 2, 10 a.m. CDT. This activity is the perfect opportunity to get to know the park better and learn about nature. The riddle hunts will be available in the welcome center at 10 a.m. Participants can pick up the forms any time during the day. Then, try to find the location that answers the riddle. Those who complete the hunt can bring it back to the welcome center by 4 p.m. to collect a prize! Info: 605-987-2263
- Lake Vermillion Dutch Oven Chili Cook-off, Lake Vermillion Recreation Area near Canistota, Sept. 2, 4 p.m. CDT. Cookers of all ages will compete for the best Dutch Oven Chili. Cookers of all levels are encouraged to participate. There is no registration required. Cookers can meet at 4 p.m. and judging will start at 6 p.m. Info: 605-296-3643
Image courtesy South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks