North Dakota’s darkhouse spearfishing season opens on most state waters December 1. The season extends through March 15. Legal fish are northern pike and nongame species.
Darkhouse spearing is allowed for all residents with a valid fishing license and for residents under the age of 16. Nonresidents may darkhouse spearfish in North Dakota if they are from states that offer the same privilege for North Dakota residents.
All individuals who participate in darkhouse spearfishing must register with the North Dakota Game and Fish Department prior to participating. Registration is available at the department’s website, gf.nd.gov, or through any Game and Fish Department office.
All waters open to hook and line fishing are open to darkhouse spearing except:
- Braun Lake – Logan County
- East Park Lake, West Park Lake, Lake Audubon – McLean County
- Heckers Lake – Sheridan County
- McClusky Canal
- New Johns Lake – Burleigh County
- Red and Bois de Sioux rivers
- Red Willow Lake – Griggs County
- Sweet Briar Dam – Morton County
Anglers should refer to the 2012-14 North Dakota Fishing Guide for more information.
Logo courtesy North Dakota Game and Fish