Grand Canyon National Park’s Artist-in-Residence program is pleased to announce its South Rim (SR AiR) selected artists for the October 2012 – September 2013 season, and the North Rim (NR AiR) selections for the May – October 2013 season.
The Artist-in-Residence (AiR) program welcomes not only artists who work in the long-honored traditions of representational landscape photography and painting, but also encourages the involvement of artists working in new or experimental mediums.
While in-residence, the SR AiRs have the opportunity to live in the historic upstairs apartment of Verkamp’s Visitor Center and Museum Store, perched on the rim. The NR AiR space is in a historic and rustic two-room cabin in the cool shade of the Ponderosa pines.
A panel of professional artists and administrators along with National Park Service (NPS) representatives selected artists from a pool of 112 applicants on the south rim, and 110 on the north. The selected artists reflect a broad range of genres and traditions which speak the various issues facing the park.
The SR AiR program is honored to be hosting the following artists for the October 2012 – September 2013 season:
- October 8 – 27, 2012: Painter Tay Lee, Los Angeles, CA
- October 28 – 31, 2012: Musician Mare Wakefield, special guest. There will be with a 7 p.m. performance at Shrine of the Ages on October 28.
- December 14 – 21, 2012: Historical architect/writer Edward Ford, special guest. There will be a special evening presentation on December 15 at the Shrine of the Ages.
- January 6 – 31, 2013: Mixed media sculptor Loren Schwerd, New Orleans, LA
- February 1 – 28th, 2013: Writer Naseem Rakha, Silverton, OR
- March 1 – 24, 2013: Conceptual/visual artist Camelia Caton-Garcia, Portland, OR
- March 25 – April 16, 2013: Painter Elizabeth Black and Photographer Chris Brown, Boulder, CO
- May 5 – 31, 2013: Poet/Conceptual visual artist Rebecca Lowry, Los Angeles, CA
- June 10 – 30, 2013: Sound and Visual Media artists Andrea Polli and Chuck Varga, Albuquerque, NM
- July 1 – 21, 2013: Painter Elisabeth Condon, Tampa, FL
- July 22 – August 19, 2013: Interdisciplinary visual/conceptual artist Kevin Curry, Tallahassee, FL
- August 11 – 31, 2013: Hand-made book artists Johanna Tinnegan-Topitzer and Jeremy Heflin, Merrimac, MA,
The NR AiR program is honored to be hosting the following artists for the May – October 2013 season:
(Exact dates for North Rim artists have not yet been determined but will be posted on the Grand Canyon website when set.)
- Watercolor artist Gloria Allen, Idaho Falls, ID
- Ceramic sculptor and photo journalist Maria Simon, Portland, OR
- Writer Rick Kempa, Rock Springs, WY
- Oil, charcoal, gouache/watercolor artist Kathie Hodge, Riverside, RI
- Dyes and pastels on silk artist, Carole Bonicelli, Brewster, NY
Each artist will present a minimum of three public outreach programs, presentations or performances of their own design while in residence.
Except for select programs presented to local school students on the south rim, these programs are free, family-friendly and open to the public. For information on these programs please check-in at a Visitor Center desk or contact the AiR coordinators:
Rene_Westbrook@nps.gov (SR AiR)
Robin_Tellis@nps.gov (NR AiR)
For information on the current south rim Artist-in-Residence public programs, please call our Art Hotline at 928-638-7616.
Both programs will be accepting new artist proposals February 1 to April 1, 2013. For complete application process details, as well as selected artist information including bios, works samples, links to their websites, and program information, please visit our website at:
Logo courtesy National Park Service