The Iowa Department of Natural Resources will continue its popular winter trout stocking on Jan. 5, with a release planned for North Prairie Lake, in Cedar Falls.
The DNR has eight winter stockings planned where about 1,500 rainbow trout are released at each location as part of its cool weather trout program that brings trout to areas that cannot support them during the summer months.
Anglers will need a valid fishing license and to have paid the trout fee to fish for or possess trout. The daily limit is five trout per licensed angler with a possession limit of 10.
Children age 15 or younger can fish for trout with a properly licensed adult, but they must limit their catch to one daily limit. The child can purchase a trout fee which will allow them to catch their own limit.
2013 Winter Trout Stocking Schedule
- North Prairie, Cedar Falls, Jan. 5, at 11 a.m.
- Scharnberg Pond, Spencer, Jan. 5, at 1 p.m.
- Bacon Creek, Sioux City, Jan. 12, at 1:45 p.m.
- Moorland Pond, Fort Dodge, Jan. 18, at 1:30 p.m.
- Big Lake, Council Bluffs, Jan. 18, at 2 p.m.
- Blue Pit, Mason City, Jan. 19, at 11 a.m.
- Petoka, Bondurant, Jan. 26, at noon
- Ada Hayden, Ames, Feb. 2, at noon
Logo courtesy Iowa Department of Natural Resources