The forms and information that Montana hunters need to apply for 2013 special bull elk and buck deer permits before the March 15 deadline now are available at license dealers and online.

The information includes a streamlined eight-page application packet. Montana’s general hunting regulations will be available on the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks website by March 15 and in paper form at license dealers by April 1.

In some Montana hunting districts, hunters are required to have one of a limited number of special permits to harvest a bull elk or buck deer. Hunters also must purchase a general deer or elk hunting license. The packets made available online and at license dealers this week, as well as the March 15 deadline, apply only to special buck deer and bull elk permits. Applications for moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat and bison hunting licenses are due by May 1. Antelope, deer doe B and elk cow B tag applications are due by June 1.

Hunters who apply for special bull elk permits must buy a general elk hunting license before filling out their application. Successful buck deer and bull elk applicants will receive their permits in April.

FWP’s website address is, then follow the links to “hunting” and “licenses and permits.” To request an application packet by mail, hunters may call 406-444-2950 or write to:

Licensing Section

Montana FWP

P.O. Box 200701

Helena, MT 59620-0701

The March 15 deadline for special bull elk and buck deer permits was approved by the FWP Commission last year in response to requests by sportsmen for more time to contact landowners, schedule vacations, get in shape, scout and plan fall hunts.

Logo courtesy Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks

What's Your Reaction?

Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *