First Descents, a Denver-based non-profit providing free outdoor adventures to young adults fighting and surviving cancer, is inviting the public to participate in Team First Descents events for 2013.
Team First Descents is a global effort of athletes and cancer survivors at all levels of competition who share the goal of supporting First Descents and the young adult cancer community. Team First Descents participants choose an activity that represents a challenge to him or her, train for it, set a fundraising goal and complete that challenge. The challenge can be something solo, like climbing a mountain, or it could be part of a major group event like the Boston Marathon.
For those wanting to be part of a pre-scheduled group challenge, First Descents has secured entries to a full calendar of Team First Descents Core Events, including stand-up paddleboarding, triathlons, marathons, cyclo-cross and more. First Descents has reserved spots in the following events for which the public can fundraise and register by emailing TeamFirstDescents@FirstDescents.org.
- March 2 – Team First Descents Climb-a-thon | Nationwide
- March 3 – Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon | San Francisco, CA
- March 9 – Pink Vail | Vail, CO
- March 22-23 – Devil Dash Sin City | Las Vegas, NV
- March 29-30 – Elk Mountains Grand Traverse | Crested Butte, CO
- April 15 – Boston Marathon | Boston, MA *all spots sold out
- April 27 – Nashville Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon & ½ Marathon | Nashville, TN
- April 27 – Ice Breaker SUP Classic | Longmont, CO
- May 5 – TD Bank Bike Tour | New York, NY
- June 2 – San Diego Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon & ½ Marathon | San Diego, CA
- June 22 – Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon & 1/2 Marathon | Seattle, WA
- June 23 – Ironman Coeur d’Alene | Coeur d’Alene, ID
- July 13-14 – Triple Bypass | Evergreen and Avon, CO
- July 28 – Ironman Lake Placid | Lake Placid, NY
- August 3 – Copper Triangle | Copper Mountain, CO
- August 10 – Leadville Trail 100 Mountain Bike Race | Leadville, CO
- August 10 – Epic Shore to Shore | Flathead Lake, MT
- August 17-18 – Tour de Hunter Bike Ride | Steamboat, CO
- September 14 – Devil Dash Colorado | Lyons, CO
- September 15 – Philadelphia Rock ‘n’ Roll ½ Marathon | Philadelphia, PA
- October 13 – Chicago Marathon | Chicago, IL
- October 20 – Denver Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon & ½ Marathon | Denver, CO
- October 26 – Crosstoberfest Idaho | Hailey, ID
- October 27 – Marine Corps Marathon | Washington D.C.
- November 3 – ING New York City Marathon | New York, NY
- December 1 – Las Vegas Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon & ½ Marathon | Las Vegas, NV
“It’s a great opportunity for anyone wanting to achieve a goal for a meaningful cause,” says Erin Kelly, Team First Descents Coordinator. “We secure the entries to some of the nation’s most exciting events and offer them to anyone willing to accept the challenge.”
Team First Descents has raised a total of $2 million. The goal for 2103 is to raise $950,000. More than 350 people have completed a personal challenge through Team First Descents since 2010.
Last year’s top fundraiser through Team First Descents was by Brent Goldstein, who raised $96,783.00. He took on the challenge of Leadville 100.
First Descents is a non-profit organization offering young adults with cancer a free week-long outdoor adventure experience designed to empower them to climb, paddle and surf beyond their diagnosis, defy their cancer, reclaim their lives and connect with others doing the same. www.FirstDescents.org