Though the 2013 deer hunting season is months away, planning is underway with statewide Deer Hunter Forums being held by Department of Natural Resources during the last two weeks of March.
The department has scheduled 34 meetings seeking public input representing all counties in the state. This is the first formal opportunity of the year for hunters and other interested individuals to discuss the current status of the deer herd in their area and ask other deer management questions of DNR wildlife managers.
“By participating in a deer hunter forum, you can access information about your favorite deer management unit, plus provide your opinions and observations while thinking about how they help shape management decisions,” said Kevin Wallenfang, DNR big game ecologist. “Public feedback is very helpful as we develop the 2013 deer hunting season.”
Local wildlife biologists will be on hand to answer questions and talk about the current status of the local deer herd. They will listen to ideas and observations, and discuss possible strategies to manage the herd.
“Wisconsin has long been known as one of the most publicly driven deer management programs in the country, but that only works if people participate,” said Wallenfang. “We hope that by hosting so many meetings and making information available on the web, people can find a location that suits them. We are looking forward to the discussions.”
Those unable to attend a local meeting may still provide their personal input on their preferred deer management unit using an on-line herd status summary and survey which will be active from March 18 to April 12. During that period, please visit dnr.wi.gov and search keywords “Deer Hunter Forum.” Comments and survey results will be compiled and provided to the wildlife biologist responsible for each county.
2013 Deer Hunters Forums
- Crawford, La Crosse, Monroe and Vernon counties, Community Room, Bekkum Memorial Library, 206 N. Main, Westby, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Calumet and Manitowoc counties, Reedsville Sportsman Club 7015 Pleasant View Road, Reedsville 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Adams, Juneau and Wood counties, Mauston City Hall 303 Mansion St., Mauston, 4 – 6 p.m.
- Grant County, Grant County Fairgrounds, Youth/AG building, 916 E. Elm St., Lancaster, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Shawano and Waupaca counties, Clintonville High School Auditorium 64 W. Green Tree Road, Clintonville, 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Racine, Kenosha and Walworth counties, Richard Bong State Recreation Area, 26313 Burlington Road, Kansasville, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Vilas, Iron and Oneida counties, Woodruff Town Hall, 1418 1st Ave, Woodruff, 6 – 9 p.m.
- Dunn, Pepin, Eau Claire and Chippewa counties, DNR Service Center, 1300 W. Clairemont Ave., Eau Claire, 6 – 9 p.m.
- Fond du Lac and Sheboygan counties, Henry S. Reuss Ice Age Visitor Center N2875 Highway 67, Dundee 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Columbia and Dane counties, Deforest Community Center, 505 North Main St., Deforest, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Rusk County, Ladysmith High school Cafeteria, 1700 E Edgewood Ave., Ladysmith, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Polk and Barron counties, Turtle Lake High School, 205 Oak Street, Turtle lake, 7- 9 p.m.
- St. Croix and Pierce counties, DNR Service Center, 890 Spruce St., Baldwin 9 a.m. – noon.
- Buffalo and Trempealeau counties, Arcadia High School Commons 756 Raider Drive, Arcadia, 7 – 9 p.m.
- Burnett County, Crex Meadows Wildlife Education and Visitors Center, 102 E Crex Ave., Grantsburg, 7- 9 p.m.
- Forest and Florence counties, Florence Natural Resources Center, 5631 Forestry Drive, Florence, 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Douglas County, Superior Public Library, 1530 Tower Ave., Superior, 6 – 8:30 p.m.
- Clark and Jackson counties, Neillsville High School Auditorium, 401 Center St., Neillsville, 7 – 9 p.m.
- Marinette and Oconto counties, Crivitz Town Hall 800 Henriette Ave., Crivitz, 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Iowa and Lafayette counties, Dodger Bowl, 318 King St., Dodgeville, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Washburn County, Spooner High School, 801 County Highway A, Spooner, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Lincoln and Langlade counties, Merrill National Guard Armory, 106 North Memorial Drive, Merrill, 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Waushara, Marquette and Green Lake counties, Wautoma High School Cafeteria 514 S Cambridge St., Wautoma – 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Rock and Green counties, DNR Service Center, 2514 Morse St., Janesville, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Milwaukee and Waukesha counties, Wern Valley Sportsman’s Club, S36 W29657 Wern Way, Waukesha 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Sawyer and Price counties, Winter School Auditorium, 6585 Grove St., Winter, 7 – 9 p.m.
- Ashland and Bayfield counties, Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center, 29270 County Hwy G, Ashland, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Portage and Marathon counties, Best Western Hotel & Conference Center, 5253 Harding Ave., Plover, 4 – 6 p.m.
- Outagamie and Winnebago counties, Appleton North High School Auditorium 5000 N. Ballard Road, Appleton ,6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Washington and Ozaukee counties, Washington County Public Agency Center, 333 E. Washington St., West Bend, 6:30 – 9 p.m.
- Richland and Sauk counties, Arthurs Supper Club, E4885 Highways 14 & 23, Spring Green, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Dodge and Jefferson counties, Senior Center, 514 S. First St., Watertown, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Taylor County, Medford Area Senior High School Cafeteria, 1015 W. Broadway Ave, Medford, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Brown, Kewaunee and Door counties, Luxemburg Sportsmans Club, E2066 Highway 54 Luxemburg 6:30 – 9 p.m.
Logo courtesy Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources