The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is conducting a Family Fishing Clinic on April 27 at Lake Hartwell State Park from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Youth ages 6-15 are also encouraged to sign up for a fishing rodeo from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Blue Heron Nature Center (Jasper Co.) also on April 27. Make sure to sign up as these clinics and rodeos fill up quickly.
Want to get your line in the water and reel in the big one, but you don’t feel confident with your angling skills? Family Fishing Clinics is an introductory class to fishing.
The clinics are sponsored by the DNR Aquatic Education Section and are designed to introduce the basics of fishing to the young and old or those who need a refresher to increase their future participation in the sport.
Family Fishing Clinics teach skills on how to tie a fishing knot, rig a rod and reel, and casting. The best part is everyone will get to try their hand at fishing. Family Fishing Clinics are free of charge. Register online at www.dnr.sc.gov/aquaticed/fishingclinic. For more information regarding an upcoming Family Fishing Clinic event or to host an event, please contact Lorianne Riggin, email@example.com or (803) 737-8483. The following dates are open for registration:
- April 27 – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Lake Hartwell State Park
- May 11 – 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. – Table Rock State Park
- May 25 – 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Lee State Park
In addition to the clinics, DNR continues to add dates to a series of free outdoor family events around the state. Youth ages 6-15 are encouraged to sign up for a fishing rodeo with specific times for some events to be determined. Youth ages 6-15 must be accompanied by an adult and no adult fishing will be allowed.
Pre-registration is required and limited spaces are available. Bring your own fishing equipment and tackle. Bait may be provided at some of the rodeos. No minnows or artificial lures allowed. Register online at www.dnr.sc.gov/aquaticed/rodeos/ or call (803) 737-8483. Sign in occurs 15-30 minutes prior to the session start time. Anglers can catch and keep, but an event specific creel limit will be in place. Call (803) 737-8483 for additional information. The additional dates as follows:
- April 27, 2013 – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Blue Heron Nature Center (Jasper County)
- May 4, 2013 – 9 a.m. to 12 noon – Star Fort Pond (Greenwood County)
- May 4, 2013 – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Sunrise Lake (Lancaster County)
- May 11, 2013 – TBD – Calhoun Falls Fishing Rodeo at the Calhoun Falls Bank Fishing Area
- May 11, 2013 – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Draper WMA (York County)
- May 11, 2013 – 9 a.m. to 1p.m. – Jimmy Shay Memorial Fishing Rodeo at Lick Fork Lake (Edgefield County)
- May 11, 2013 – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Goose Creek Fishing Rodeo (Berkeley County)
- May 18, 2013 – 8 a.m. to 12 noon – Barnwell County
- May 18, 2013 – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Darlington County (Rancho Road, Hartsville, SC)
- May 18, 2013 – 8 a.m. to 12 noon – Foster Park Lake (Union County)
- May 18, 2013 – 9 a.m. to 12 noon – Piedmont Tree Nursery (Tamassee, SC)
- June 1, 2013 – TBD – Cohen Campbell Fish Hatchery (West Columbia, SC)
- June 1, 2013 – 8 a.m. to 12 noon – Chattooga River at Burrells Ford
Image courtesy South Carolina Department of Natural Resources