This weekend, open fishing season for rainbow trout opens at Koke‘e public fishing area (PFA) on Kaua‘i. Anglers may fish daily from Saturday, June 15, to Sunday, Sept. 29, 2013. Fishing hours will be from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“Trout fishing at Pu‘u Lua Reservoir in Koke‘e has always been a popular family activity, and anglers will have a chance to catch trout from last year’s stocking,”said William J. Aila, Jr., DLNR chairperson.
Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) is reminding the public of rules which will apply to rainbow trout fishing:
- The daily bag limit for this year will be 12 rainbow trout per licensed angler. DLNR personnel will be monitoring catches.
- What you catch you must keep. Do not catch and hold fish, as this may cause fish to die.
- Anglers shall fish with only one pole and line, or one line using one lure or one baited hook attached to the single line. The use of treble hooks is prohibited.
- The launch or use of any vessel or floatable object, motorized, none motorized, or wind powered in the Pu‘ulua Reservoir is prohibited.
Anglers must have a valid State of Hawai‘i freshwater game fishing license. Licenses may be obtained at DLNR offices, at selected fishing supply stores, license agents, or purchased online at http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar.
The complete rules on fishing for rainbow trout at Koke‘e PFA can be found on the Division of Aquatic Resources website listed above, or by calling your local DAR office.
Anglers should be aware that a four-wheel drive vehicle is recommended for driving to all fishing areas, including Pu‘u Lua Reservoir, the streams and ditch systems.
Anglers who wish to fish after 4 p.m. on weekdays during the first three weeks and on weekdays from July 8 to Sept. 29 may do so by leaving their vehicles outside the gates and walking to the fishing areas.
Anglers should also note that fishing in the streams will be very poor because trout stocking in the streams has been discontinued.
All anglers are required to check in and out at established check-in stations as follows:
- Pu‘u Lua Reservoir’s two stations at the parking area and at the reservoir intake
- Koke‘e Park headquarters for streams and ditch systems with access through Camp 10 and Halemanu Roads
- Trail 2 for the lower ditch systems
Due to drought conditions in the Koke‘e PFA, vehicle entry into Pu‘u Lua Reservoir at Trail 3 and the ditch system at Trail 2, as well as the exit, will be through periodically locked entry gates. From June 15 to July 7, the gates will be open from 6 am. to 6 p.m. on weekends and holidays, and from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. From July 8 to Sept. 29, the gates will be open from 6 am. to 6 p.m. only on weekends and holidays.
For further information or the current list of license agents, please call the DLNR Division of Aquatic Resources on O‘ahu at 832-5009 or on Kaua‘i at 274-3344.
Last year, 2,570 anglers caught 13,349 trout with the largest trout caught measuring 15 inches in length and weighing 2 pounds. Fishing was very good because the trout hatchery was restarted in 2011 and juvenile trout were restocked in the Pu‘u Lua Reservoir later that year. Trout fishing is expected to be better than last year as more trout were stocked in the reservoir in 2012.
Logo courtesy Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources