The Michigan Historical Center today announced summer hours for the Mann House in Concord. Newly repainted in historic, period colors, the house is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays now through Sept. 1.
A new collaboration between the DNR and Eastern Michigan University’s Historic Preservation Program is providing staff for the summer.
“We look forward to welcoming visitors and continuing to play a role in the Concord community,” said Maria Quinlan Leiby, chief curator at the Historical Center. “EMU was formerly Michigan Normal School, where Ellen Mann and both her daughters trained as teachers. We are pleased to have the university as our partner.”
In 1883, Daniel and Ellen Mann built their two-story house in Concord. Here, they raised their daughters, Jessie Ellen and Mary Ida. The late-Victorian building features plaster ceilings, unusual catch-release doorknobs and a marbleized slate fireplace. Eight rooms of period furniture include pieces dating back to the 1840s, when Daniel’s and Ellen’s parents were furnishing their first homes. Restored flower and herb gardens and a carriage house with carriages, sleighs and other exhibits help illustrate the way Michiganians worked and played in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The Mann House is one of 11 nationally accredited museums administered by the Michigan Historical Center, an agency within the Department of Natural Resources. It is located at 205 Hanover St. in Concord, about 12 miles west of Jackson. For more information, call 517-524-8943 or visit www.michigan.gov/mannhouse. To learn more about the rest of the state’s historical museum sites, go to www.michigan.gov/michiganhistory.