Today at its monthly meeting, the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission took action on proposed modifications to current regulations for selected reef fish. These proposed changes were made in an effort to remain consistent with federal regulations.
The proposed modifications are as follows:
Annual Season Closures
- The commercial and recreational closed season for gray triggerfish and the recreational and the recreational gag grouper closed season is set for June 1 through July 31 each year.
- Changes the February 1 through March 31 closed season for Shallow Water Grouper to be only in waters seaward of 20 fathoms.
- Gray triggerfish limit of two fish within the currently established 20 reef fish aggregate limit.
- Vermilion snapper limit of 10 fish within the currently established 20 reef fish aggregate limit.
- Commercial trip limit of 12 gray triggerfish per trip.
- Commercial trip limit of 2,000 pounds for greater amberjack.
- Today’s actions also propose removing the requirements for use of a venting tool when fishing for reef fish.
Interested persons may submit comments relative to the proposed Rule to: Jason Adriance, Fisheries Division, Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA 70898 9000, or via e-mail to: email@example.com prior to Thursday, September 5, 2013.
Logo courtesy Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission