Browe, Inc., a Michigan-based manufacturer of high-quality optics, announced the release of the latest model in their successful Browe Tactical Optic (BTO) line earlier today. The new scope, the BTO-005G-RS, is the first American-made optic designed specifically to be used with AK-pattern firearms.
The scope, which I’ll refer to as the BTO RS from here on out, is a 4x fixed-magnification optic featuring an illuminated BDC reticle calibrated for 7.62x39mm. Browe teamed up with RS Regulate, the maker of the AK-300 mounting system for Kalashnikovs, to design a special aluminum housing for the BTO that would allow it to sit in a low-profile position.
Just before SHOT Show, I had the opportunity to get a sneak peek at the new optic and its mount. The whole package is quite impressive and offers AK shooters a type of sighting system that was previously unavailable to them.
When attached to an RS AKOG LOW upper and AK-302 lower, the BTO RS sits right at the rear edge of an AK top cover. The optic is low enough that even operators using Kalashnikovs equipped with standard wooden buttstocks can maintain a comfortable cheekweld—something any experienced AK shooter will appreciate.
I also attached the BTO RS to a rifle outfitted with a Magpul Zhukov stock, another rifle with a polymer Combloc-pattern folder, a standard 6.5 Grendel Vepr, and a customized Vepr modified to fit an AR-spec Magpul PRS stock. Regardless of the rifle, the BTO RS sat in a readily usable position.
The reticle can be adjusted in 0.5 MOA increments. It features green-colored illumination powered by a 3v Lithium 123A battery. The battery can last for roughly 2,000 hours on mid-range settings and at least 775 hours on max brightness.
The illuminated reticle is operated using a single button mounted on the left side of the optic. Pressing it once “wakes” the optic from sleep and turns on the illumination in automatic mode, in which it will automatically adjust its brightness depending on ambient light. Pressing it a second time sends it into manual mode, allowing the user to choose between 10 day and three night vision settings. Holding the button for three seconds returns the optic to sleep mode. It’s quite simple and very easy to use.
The BTO can also be used on vz. 58-pattern firearms if used with an RS VZ-304 lower mount.
Together with a complete mount and battery, the BTO RS weighs 18.8 ounces (533 grams). Having it placed right at the rear of the receiver means the gun still feels quite balanced even with the extra weight. The RS mount allows the user to fully adjust the scope’s front-to-back and over-bore position.
The clarity of the BTO RS’ glass is outstanding. The scope offers a seven-degree field of view.
The BTO RS will retail for $1,465. The mount is sold separately from the optic. Browe is now taking orders for the scope and the mounts are available through a number of retailers.
Full specs direct from Browe:
- Model #: BTO-005G-RS
- Magnification: 4x
- Entrance Pupil: 32mm
- Exit Pupil: 8mm
- Eye Relief: 37mm
- Length: 132mm nominal
- Width: 67mm nominal
- Weight: 18.8 oz. (533g) w/ AK-300 mount and battery
- Field of view: 7 °
- Adjustment per click: .5 MOA
- Adjustment: Internally Adjustable Prism – 60 MOA total adjustment range
- Ballistic Compensated Reticle patterns: 7.62 x 39mm Chevron
- Illumination Color Day/Night: Green
- Illumination control – Automatic: Target Light Senor Technology adjust illumination based on target light
- Illumination control – Manual: 10 days settings and 3 night vision
- Battery Usage Life: 2000 hrs. Typ. (Min. 775hrs. on max brightness)
- Housing Material: 7075-T6 Forged Aluminum Alloy
- Mount: The AK-300 mount system from RS Products LLC
- Rifles: All Russian and Bulgarian pattern (AKM, VEPR, Saiga, SLR, SGL, SAM7, WASR)
- Note: other mounting options available, inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Water Proof: 42m / 130ft.
- Fog proof: Filled with dry nitrogen
- Lens Coatings: Broad Band Anti-Reflective Coatings
- Origin: MADE IN THE USA
Images by Matt Korovesis unless otherwise noted