Stevens 301 Turkey Strengthens the Case for .410 Gauge Gobbler Hunting
Adam Scepaniak 03.21.19
Many states are becoming more accepting of .410 Gauge as being a legal cartridge for turkey hunting. The growing acceptance is happening because of two main driving forces: better ammunition and better firearms. One of those better firearms is the Stevens 301 Turkey single-shot. From its recoil pad to its choke tube, the Stevens 301 Turkey from Savage Arms makes a strong case for tagging a long-beard with a .410 Gauge shell.
The burgeoning popularity of the .410 as a viable option for turkey hunting is in part due to more new hunters, those who may be less keen on recoil, and people pursuing a new challenge. At the moment, Savage Arms is releasing the Stevens 301 Turkey in two configurations this spring.
- 301 Turkey Mossy Oak Bottomland | .410 Gauge 26” Barrel | 19252 | MSRP $199
- 301 Turkey Mossy Oak Obsession | .410 Gauge 26” Barrel | 19253 |MSRP $199
At a full retail price of only $199 they are very affordable for hunters to bite the bullet and add a new firearm to their gun cabinet. These new variants of the Stevens 301 offer a lot of extra features relative to their original counterparts. All of those specifications can be read below as presented by Savage Arms:
- Single-Shot, Break-Action Shotgun
- Synthetic Stock & Fore-End w/ Mossy Oak Bottomland or Obsession Camo
- 26” Barrel, 3” Chamber optimized for Federal Premium HEAVYWEIGHT TSS Turkey Loads
- Swivel Studs on Stock & Fore-End
- Removable One-Piece Rail for optional Optic or Red Dot
- Bead Sight Compatible w/ TruGlo Sight Systems
- Extra-Full Choke included (Win. Choke pattern of 1/2-32UN)
- Manual Hammer Blocking Safety
- Recoil Pad
Not many manufacturers really cater to sportsmen/sportswomen who are looking for single-shot shotguns anymore. When it comes to turkey hunting though, a single-shot can boast a lot of great properties including less weight and a smaller-framed firearm when meandering through the woods. Savage Arms goes on about their Stevens 301 Turkey in this public statement below:
“WESTFIELD, Massachusetts – March 18, 2019 – Designed for use with Federal HEAVYWEIGHT TSS turkey loads, Stevens’ new 301 Turkey shotgun throws powerful patterns with minimal recoil… The .410 platform’s single-shot, break action is simple and incredibly reliable, and the 26-inch barrel is optimized for HEAVYWEIGHT TSS payloads. The removable one-piece rail makes it easy to equip the 301 with an optic, and it’s available in Mossy Oak Bottomland and Obsession camouflage options.”
For those of you who are gearing up to go turkey hunting this spring, do you use a single-shot shotgun? Would you entertain using one? Let us know all of your thoughts in the Comments below as well as your favorite turkey gun! We always appreciate your feedback.