Volunteers Needed for Stewardship Workdays in Southeastern Michigan


Department of Natural Resources officials announced the schedule of volunteer stewardship workdays taking place throughout February inSoutheast Michiganstate parks and recreation areas.

Volunteers are needed to cut invasive shrubs in natural areas within the state parks and recreation areas. This activity will help protect and restore the unique natural areas in theseSoutheast Michiganstate parks. Volunteering for these workdays is a great way to get outdoors, breathe some fresh air, avoid cabin fever and remain active.

Dates, times and locations of the workdays are as follows:

  • Saturday, Feb. 4:      Island Lake Recreation Area (LivingstonCounty), 1-4 p.m.
  • Saturday, Feb.11:     Bald Mountain Recreation Area (Oakland County), 9 a.m. to noon
  • Sunday, Feb.12:        Algonac State Park (St. Clair County), 1-4 p.m.
  • Saturday, Feb.18:     Highland Recreation Area (OaklandCounty), 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
  • Saturday, Feb.18:     Brighton Recreation Area (LivingstonCounty), 1-4 p.m.
  • Sunday, Feb. 19:       Pinckney Recreation Area (WashtenawCounty), 1-4 p.m.
  • Saturday, Feb: 25:    Waterloo Recreation Area (WashtenawCounty), 1-4 p.m.
  • Sunday, Feb. 26:       Highland Recreation Area (OaklandCounty), 1-4 p.m.

Volunteers should wear appropriate clothing for outdoor work, including long pants, boots, gloves and drinking water. Waterproof boots, either knee-high rubber boots or hip waders, are recommended for some sites, especially fen and other wetland sites. A limited number of waterproof boots are available to borrow, upon request.

For information about the specific tasks at each workday and to obtain directions, visit the DNR website at www.michigan.gov/dnrvolunteers and link to the “Calendar of Volunteer Stewardship Workdays.” Volunteers are asked to register using the form available on the website or via email. Any questions should be directed to Laurel Malvitz-Draper at 248-359-9057 or [email protected].

The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry intoMichiganstate parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan’s outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails, and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

Michiganresidents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking “YES” on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michiganstate park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site; these can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigane-Store at www.michigan.gov/estore. To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport or call 517-241-7275.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

Read More