As lethal weapons, firearms and firearm safety need to be the top priority on every shooter’s list. To experienced shooters, the precautions when using a firearm should be engrained into their heads, and first-timers should not venture to start shooting on their own.
But even the experienced and the guided falter sometimes.
This video compiled by a firearm safety instructor shows negligent discharges, improper equipment checks, improper attire and use of a firearm by incapable or inexperienced people. It’d be wise to learn from other’s mistakes.
Fundamental Gun Safety Rules
As outlined by the NRA, safe gun handling rules are:
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
- Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
- Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
- Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
- Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
- Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.
Photo: Guardian Elite