21 categories include popular rods, reels and gear; Coverage in Game & Fish/Sportsman magazines’ March issues
Game & Fish/Sportsman magazine readers have selected their favorite bass-fishing gear in the magazines’ annual Readers’ Choice Awards.
Results of the voting appear in the current March 2013 issue of Game & Fish/Sportsman magazines on sale across the United States now. Award trophies will be presented to winners at the 2013 ICAST show in Las Vegas.
“Who better to ask about the best fishing gear than our readers?” said Peter Gross, Game & Fish/Sportsman publisher. The survey showed that respondents fished an average of 40 days. More than 40 percent of the respondents consider themselves “advanced” bass anglers.
“It’s fascinating to see what they choose as their favorites, and why they choose it,” said Gross, an avid angler. “They are as passionate about their gear as we are.”
In 2012, Game & Fish/Sportsman asked manufacturers to submit new gear nominees in 21 categories, from rods and reels to raingear and sunglasses. Gear has to have been introduced in the last three years to be considered “new.” The magazine then queried a sampling of subscribers and e-newsletter recipients to determine favorite picks. Game & Fish/Sportsman magazines, which is ABC audited, has more than 400,000 monthly subscribers.
Winners in each category include:
- Baitcasting Rod, BassPro Johnny Morris Carbonlite
- Baitcasting Reel, Abu Garcia Revo SX
- Spinning Rod, Abu Garcia Volatile
- Spinning Reel, Pflueger Purist
- Wirebaits, Terminator T-1 Original Titanium
- Jigheads, Berkley Gulp! Jigheads
- Artificial Worm, Havoc 8-inch Juice Worm
- Flukes, Zoom Super Fluke
- Topwater, Rapala X-Rap Pop
- Crankbaits, Rapala Flat Rap
- Hard Plastic Swimbaits, Storm Swimmin’ Stick
- Swimbaits, Powerbait Split Belly
- Castable Umbrella Rig, Mann’s Alabama Rig
- Mono/Copolymer Fishing Line, Berkley Trilene XL
- Braided Fishing Line, Spiderwire Zilla Braid
- Fluorocarbon Fishing Line, Sufix Castable Fluorocarbon
- Single Hook, Lazer TroKar 110 EWG
- Treble Hook, Mustad UltraPoint Standard, Extra Strong
- Electronics, Humminbird 1193c
- Raingear, Cabela’s Guidewear Bass Angler
- Sunglasses, Costa del Mar Double Haul