Knowledgeable fishermen know that sun/moon positions, moon phase and barometric pressure have an important bearing on fish feeding activity. For many sportsmen, solunar theory – an understanding of the movements of the sun and the moon as they affect fish – has long been an important tool.
Thanks to Laylin Associates’ Angler’s Edge app, as used in the SpeedTech Instruments Angler’s Edge instrument, serious fishermen can now take advantage of a far superior development of solunar theory. The traditional baseline information about sun and moon influences was once available only by consulting ever-changing, seasonal charts. Also, it did not take into account the important impact of barometric pressure, or distinguish between the biological behavior of fish and game animals. Today, thanks to a new and sophisticated algorithm, all of this information is now clearly presented in the Laylin Angler’s Edge app. A combined total of over 40 years of professional fishery research experience and personal observations contributed to the development of the algorithm used in the app.
This new and intuitive algorithm doesn’t consider merely sun and moon information. Based on GPS data, sun/moon almanac information and barometric pressure trends, it calculates and presents hour-by-hour predictions of fish feeding activity – for any location in the USA. The results, plus much other valuable information are clearly shown in the Angler’s Edge app, offering a powerful, comprehensive tool for anglers to determine the best times to fish. (Knowing when the fish are motivated to feed, or not, also helps the angler determine what tactics to use, even when the fish are not inclined to take a lure.)
“For freshwater and saltwater alike,” advises David Laylin, CEO of Laylin Associates (formerly dba Speedtech Instruments), “the patented scientific technology of the Angler’s Edge provides optimized solunar-based innovation for serious fishermen.”
- Auto location by GPS, zip code, or map (User adjustable location)
- Hour-by-hour updated predictions based on changing weather conditions
- Predictions include barometric pressure influence for first four hours only
- Sun/moon rise/set times and moon phase
- Tide data and water temperatures for coastal fishermen (Continental US/AK/HI)
- Current weather and 1 week prediction
- Wind speed & direction, visibility and humidity
- 12 hour barometric pressure history
- Future predictions through 21st Century
- Feeding predictions are for all species of game fish. (Game animal feeding predictions are different and are presented in the Deer Hunters App.)
- Available on iOS and Android
In addition to being a more accurate tool, Angler’s Edge has been developed to be used outdoors. Specifically, we experimented at length with making the app as readable in direct sunlight as possible. We chose the color green to provide the best contrast on your iPhone screen.
There are many tables, charts, and calendars which claim to predict daily feeding activity of fish. There’s only one truly scientific Angler’s Edge!
Angler’s Edge is available on the App Store for $4.99 at:
Browser Kings, LLC
Image courtesy Laylin Associates Ltd