The United States is home to some of the most awe-inspiring examples of natural beauty in the entire world. Many of these locations are contained within the country’s parks and forests, where, for the most part, it is legal to possess firearms. One intrepid firearms enthusiast, Patrick Thai, has traveled to many of these places on hiking and camping trips and brought with him a trusty companion—his customized WASR-10/63 AKM-pattern rifle, also known as “Waldo.”
The following pictures are just a sampling of some of the places Thai and his WASR have been. Each image is accompanied by a caption detailing where it was taken. The rifle is hard to spot in many of the pictures thanks to Thai’s creativity and the AK’s camouflage—can you locate it in all of them?
Details on Thai’s rifle in its most recent configuration are provided below the pictures.
- 7.62x39mm WASR-10/63
- Custom left-side charging handle
- Krebs safety
- ACE internal receiver block
- Stormwerkz folding stock hinge
- Manticore Arms triangle folding stock
- Manticore Arms NightBrake
- Magpul Zhukov handguard
- Magpul M-LOK handstop kit
- Stippled Combloc-pattern pistol grip
- Taped within the triangle stock: magnesium firestarter block, tourniquet, and whistle
All images provided by and copyright Patrick Thai