Headlamp Review: PETZL ACTIK CORE & PETZL TIKKINA
Andy Husek 08.13.19
When it comes to headlamps, PETZL is one of the most trusted companies around. Whether you are backpacking, hunting, climbing, or just working on a project in your backyard at night, their products will do the job. In this article, we will take a look at the PETZL ACTIK CORE and the PETZL TIKKINA.
Recently I went on a trip to Southwest Texas to hunt Axis deer and Aoudad. What more of a perfect opportunity was I going to have to test out a couple different headlamps from Petzl. The two models I used were the PETZL ACTIK CORE and the PETZL TIKKINA both from the PETZL TIKKA line of lamps.
While in Texas we had a great opportunity to try out both headlamps to see which would be best for moving around camp after dark. First, the PETZL TIKKINA and the PETZL ACTIK CORE have a great fit. The adjustable headband has a secure fit on both models and is very comfortable when in use for an extended period of time. Both the PETZL TIKKINA and PETZL ACTIK CORE feature an adjustable light that can also be used with compatible mounts to place the light on a helmet or bicycle.
While I really like both models, the PETZL ACTIK CORE was noticeably brighter than the PETZL TIKKINA, as it packs an additional 200 lumes. For a hunting application, the additional lumens are a huge benefit as I could be field dressing after sundown. I love that both are compatible with a rechargeable battery as well as standard AAA batteries. As a hunter, this is perfect because I can routinely use the rechargeable batteries but always have the standard batteries as a backup just in case. Also, both offer a wide range of brightness setting which is ideal depending on the current application you are using it for and the level of brightness needed.
I highly recommend both models but at the end of the day I personally think it is worth spending the extra money and going for the PETZL ACTIK CORE. The higher lumen output coupled with the ability to adjust to different brightness settings give you slightly more flexibility.
Detailed specs and description for each of the models is listed below:
- 450 lumens
- Two beam patterns (flood or mixed) and several white brightness levels)
- Red lighting preserves night vision
- Reflective headband for night visibility
- Rechargeable and easy to use:
– CORE battery charges via micro USB port
– HYBRID CONCEPT design: ACTIK CORE comes with the CORE rechargeable battery and also works with three standard batteries
– single button for quick and easy selection of brightness or light color
– detachable, washable headband
– LOCK function to avoid accidentally turning it on during transit or storage
- Compatible with mounting accessories that allow the lamp to be attached to any kind of helmet, or to a bicycle
- 250 Lumens
- Three white lighting levels: proximity, movement and distance
- Single button for quick and easy lighting level selection
– HYBRID CONCEPT design: TIKKINA comes with 3 standard batteries and is also compatible with the CORE rechargeable battery
– detachable, washable headband
- Compatible with mounting accessories that allow the lamp to be attached to any kind of helmet, or to a bicycle.
You can learn more about these products at petzl.com